cleaner shrimp

radareev

Does anyone know if you can have two cleaner shrimps in a 30 gal. tank at the same time? Is there something else that would get along with a cleaner that would help clean up the algae?
Again, thanks to everyone for their support.:notsure:

viper_930

Get a cleanup crew of hermit crabs and snails. Cleaner shrimp don't eat algea. About 20 hermits and 20 snails would be great.

trigger78

Cleaner shrimp clean your fish not the algae. And, yes to are fine. You need a clean up crew for the algae. Crabs and snails eat the algea. Get about 3 snails and 8 hermits to start with and see what they do.

zoe

Start small on your cleanup crew. If your going to get hermits make sure they are scarlet reef hermits. Very laid back crabs that don't kill snails and each other for the heck of it. I think five snails, a couple ceriths and 2 or 3 scarlet hermits should do nicely. Add some more later on if you think the ones you have can't keep up with the algae. But otherwise buy only a few so they won't starve to death. These monstor packages that on line vendors say you need is a crying shame, such a waste of inverts lives. As everyone said, it's fine to keep two shrimp in a 30 gal in fact it's best so they will always have fertilized eggs.That in turn feed fish, inverts and corals. Scarlet skunk cleaners are hermaphrodites so no need to worry about pairing them up.

bot587

zoe not to disrespect you, but my scarlet legged hermit crab stole a shel from my turbo snail lol... Also, a good cleanup crew can survive if your tank is mature (meaning out of the cycle and growing good algal matter (diatoms) for the snails.

jtutton

I have had several types of hermits and if they like a snail shell, they'll make the snail lunch. Unfortunately it seems that snails are semi-disposable.
I had to replace my cleaner shrimp. The first one died. Don't know if something came in on an arrow crab from the wild or if it was just its time or if somebody killed it. anyway, the shrimp I got today has eggs. Is there anything I can do to maybe have success with the eggs hatching or will everyone just eat the fry?
I'd love to see baby cleaners.
I had to replace the cleaner because my domino was trying to get the coral banded to clean it and the coral banded was totally ignoring it. Unrequited love?
:rolleyes:

viper_930

The other tank inhabitants will eat all the fry. There is a very very low survival rate in home aquariums.