Cleaner Shrimp

xcali1985

How hardy are they, they are listed as one of the first animals to put in the tank as part of the SWF cleanup crew packages, I currently have a 55gal with good to excellent parameters, I have 20 hermits or at least most of them minus a few maybe, 12 snails all living and thriving, & 2 clownfish also thriving and eating well.
Currently a FOWLR but in about 6-8 months i want to add a few inverts. Im trying to take it slow but I like the shrimp and im told they can help keep my fish clean and happy.
Unfortunately they they are 30$ at the LFS and I don't want to throw 30$ down the porcelain god anytime soon.
Edit: also what are its chances for survival, will it it brime shrimp if the tank is clean.

flower

My story...
I always hated shrimp, they look like bugs to me. My Hippo tang is an ich magnet. I have had it since it was very tiny (pinky nail size). Any stress, and I mean any stress caused it to break out in ich. Even a water change

I gave my fish shrimp lased with garlic to build up its immunity. I have a 90g so I broke down and bought two huge cleaner shrimps.
They are sooo cool! they actually ride my fish and clean them up, my fish even kind of wait in line to be "serviced". They clean the gills and everything.
I absolutly love them, and no more ich problems since they have been in the tank...3 months now. That is a long time for my tang!
So I say go for it!
They are worth the money and I have no problems with the health...I did buy big ones from the start, so maybe bigger ones are more hardy???

girlina4x4

I've always had cleaner shrimp in my tanks. Unless they get eaten by something (crab/fish) then they usually last a while. In my area they are $16, but I've found we have great prices on everything. I say as along as you dont have anything that could eat it, you should go ahead and get one. They are very fun to watch and dont need a fish to survive as they eat regular food as well.

xcali1985

Thank you guys, im on my way to the pet store in 90 minutes, to check out their supply. They have had a few in a couple tanks for a few weeks now so ill go grab a decent sized one, they get really big.
You said yours ride on the fish, do they seem to have trouble supporting it when they swim as my 2 clowns are about 1 inch each.

flower

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3069904
Thank you guys, im on my way to the pet store in 90 minutes, to check out their supply. They have had a few in a couple tanks for a few weeks now so ill go grab a decent sized one, they get really big.
You said yours ride on the fish, do they seem to have trouble supporting it when they swim as my 2 clowns are about 1 inch each.
Not at all. The clowns kind of stay in their own space...They ride my goby and hippo tang often. They clean the other fish when they come into the rock near them. My clowns like this one corner of the tank in the front and seldom go into the rocks. LOL I think they hosted the Koraia #3 power head.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3069908
Not at all. The clowns kind of stay in their own space...They ride my goby and hippo tang often. They clean the other fish when they come into the rock near them. My clowns like this one corner of the tank in the front and seldom go into the rocks. LOL I think they hosted the Koraia #3 power head.

Mine seem to be pretty active. I went in and brushed a little coraline around today and they chased it all for about 20 minutes. They kinda own the tank for now. I have about 20 crabs and 12 snails if they are all still there.

flower

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3069916
Mine seem to be pretty active. I went in and brushed a little coraline around today and they chased it all for about 20 minutes. They kinda own the tank for now. I have about 20 crabs and 12 snails if they are all still there.
I am sure if my clowns came close enough the shrimp would clean them up... I just noted that they stay close to that power head... and it just accured to me that they may have hosted it, I thought that was pretty funny.

king_neptune

i knew they set up cleaning stations, but i never knew they rode fish. that is totally awesome!!
im gonna get some small ones myself.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3070458
i knew they set up cleaning stations, but i never knew they rode fish. that is totally awesome!!
im gonna get some small ones myself.
Update:
Hes seems to have gotten fairly used to the tank, I haven't witnessed him cleaning a fish yet although hes always messing with my snails and my crabs. I put a piece of brime shrimp in the tank the other day and he ate almost all of it alone, a great addition to the tank even if he didn't have a benefit to him, im going to get another one.
I almost bought a lobster today, the guy at the LFS knows me well now and said that it would eat my shrimp so no lobster, it was beautiful though.

nordy

Once they get used to the tank, and to you, they should get right on your hand when you put it in the water. My cleaner shrimps will walk all over my hand looking for dead skind or parasites to eat. yeah, they are a very cool addition to a tank.

i have just set up a tank its around 1 1/2 months old i have taken my water to my local shop n they sed im all ready to start with cleaning crew since i only have live rock atm i brought a cleaner shrimp and some hermet crabs there doing fine but my shrimp lasted 30 mins i left the bags for 30 mins in the tank then added half a cup of my tank water every 10 mins to 2 hours then slowly drop him in the tank he went to the bottem moved around a bit but looked like he got a lil court in some hair algi i have but soon moved 30 mins later he moved fliped over n hasnt moved for over an hour now any ideas my water salt levals are 1.025 ???????