Cleaner Wrasse Killing!!!!

devilshand

Can any one tell me if my cleaner wrasse was what killed my firefish. I havent added any fish within the last 4 months except a cleaner wrasse that i added to my tank about a week ago and all of the sudden the fins on my firefish were getting smaller and smaller till there was nothing left and he died. I have never heard of Cleaner wrasse being aggresive can any one help me?

ophiura

There is a mimic of the cleaner wrasse that will take bites out of fish. Do you have a coral banded shrimp, by chance?

devilshand

No shrimp in my tank at all. i'm getting ready to add some sexy shrimp, and i'm pretty sure it is a cleaner wrasse not a mimic.

harlequin

First off, cleaner wrasses are not meant for the home aquarium. They have a 99% mortality rate plus their taking robs the wild reefs of a vital resource. Shame on you for not doing research first and learning this.
Secondly my guess would be yes, the wrasse is behind it. Due to the severe lack of food for him in that tank he has to visit the same fish over and over again and they can be downright aggressive when they want to clean, regardless of whether the fish has parasites or not. Most do not act this psychotic however and simply starve to death in a few weeks.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Harlequin
Shame on you for not doing research first and learning this.
But they are here looking for advice now, and that needs to be emphasized and commended. Most people never ask, never learn and buy all sorts of cleaner wrasse because they are sold in many LFS as good fish to have. It is an easy mistake, hopefully can be rectified.
The cleaner wrasse and its mimic are so similar, that few hobbyists or LFS would note the difference.

devilshand

Well i didnt know about the mortality rate or i wouldnt have gotten one and i guess all i can do is hope that he lives because he is eating and seems to be doin very well. he cleans my yellow eyed tang, my blenny, and my chromis and doesnt seem to be bothering any of them i also have a six line wrasse that i purchased today and have in a qt till i see how he is goin to act. Will he be alright in there? I havent really done much with fish in my tank cause i was more interested in the corals but i wanted something in there to liven the tank up. I didnt really go the route of clowns because i dont want any anenomes in my tank because they dont die in the wild near like they do in tank so i wont buy them. I appreciate any suggestions on what kind of fish i could put in my coral tank that would help. I also have a tank with a carnation coral that has soveral zoos the carnation and an atlantic blue tang. What other fish could i put in that tank without disturbing the system? I appreciate any help.

ophiura

I would strongly suggest starting new threads on those "other fish to add" questions so lots of people will join in. In those threads, post tank size, etc so people can have an idea of the space you have...also LR, age, etc.
FWIW, you don't need to have anemones to keep clownfish :D but the fact that you recognize the mortality rate of anemones and don't care to keep one deserves a pat on the back :D

lion_crazz

ophiura, quick question for you. If this nipping of the fins/scales is a known behavior, why does the site list the fish as harmless? I thought they were anything but harmless.

ophiura

Harmless to humans :) If you look up lionfish or foxface or something, it will come up with "venemous" and of course certain sharks....well...are listed as being able to inflict trauma.
But all in all the mimic is basically harmless to fish. It will not result in damage that would kill a fish. Just instead of picking parasites, it will pick off a bit more :)