Cleaner Wrasse

Hi, how big does a cleaner wrasse get? If I get a full grown cleaner wrasse would a 3 inch niger triggerfish, and a 3 1/2 in. panther grouer attack this fish?

jacrmill

im not sure about if it would get eaten by your trigger or not, dont know too much about them. but there has been discussion about cleaner wrasses on this board. apparently they are difficult to keep because if you have no parasites then they have no food. apparently there is an area the fish are from that do eat frozen brine though, mgiht wanna do a search and try to read taht post im referring too. i know it doesnt answer your question, but thought id let you know.

cchung718

I have a cleaner wrasse and he eats flakes. He doesn't eat much of it but he does eat it. I was surprised to see it.
Panther groupers get very large. He might swallow the cleaner wrasse like a noodle. :D

jimi

My cleaner eats anything. If you buy one make sure you see him eat readily before you buy him. Not sure about the trigger but the grouper would most likely use his cleaning services in the mouth and gills, neat to watch.

Jimi, do you know how big the cleaner wrasses get? I would like one for their services of eating the parasites, and other stuff.

seadaddy

I have 3 cleaner wrasses in my 180 gallon. They are in with a HumaHuma Trigger and a Clown Trigger. I have had them for about 3 months now. Battleing that old Ick problem. They have done quite a job on keeping it down. Now one of them has gotten really thin and I do not expect him to last much longer. The other two are doing just fine. The triggers let themselves be cleaned right along with the other fish. Nobody messes with the cleaner wrasses, though sometimes they do chase each other. For only 4 bucks, quite the deal for what they have accomplished.

ckisb

My two inch picasso trigger murdered a cleaner wrasse in less than five minutes. My poor wrasse didn't know what hit him. The wrasse was only about 1/2 an inch, but I don't think that size mattered. I was so mad I told the people at the fish store that I had a trigger and they said it would be fine. If I were you I don't think I would risk it. :eek:
[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: CKISB ]

goofieones

Panthers get huge, what size tank do you have? I don't think it would be a good idea to get the cleaner wrasse, unless you are sure he is eating. Those fish you mentioned sound like they will eat smaller fish, so why take the chance? The fish you have in this tank, and the other fish you have, the emp. angel that had ick, sounds like exactly the same thing that Triggerfish2001 has, are you the same person? I hope you didn't just change your name again. Sorry if I am starting a war, but it's not hard to figure out.
[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: goofieones ]

twoods71

I have had 2 cleaners. The first one would only peck at the other fish and would eat nothing else and eventually died. The one I have now eats flakes, frozen and live brine. Neat little fish.
I believe they only grow to a max of 3 - 4 "

pufferlover

As posted elsewhere in answer to this question the answer is no the wrasse would not live long with a grouper. If the tank is healthy then the wrasse becomes expendable and the bigger fish will have it over for dinner.

tonga

I have several cleaner wrasses (pacific) they all eat like pigs.. I have them in with all kinds of fish, eels, triggers, puffers..the only fish that will actually for sure eat the wrasse are the groupers..the cleaner wrasses swim in a jerky motion (if you look closely) which basicly lets the other fish know "hey i'm here to help, dont eat me" but groupers dont seem to care :)