cleaner wrasse

octoman

Originally Posted by Robdog696
http:///forum/post/2581587
The cleaner wrasse's difficulty to keep in the home aquarium stems from three predominant factors. Firstly, cleaner wrasse of all four types have very small mouths as juviniles. As a result, they feed on very small parasites that live on other fish. Within the last 7 years marine aquarium hobbyists have "by accident" discovered this fact. By chopping their fish food into smaller pieces than intended, it was observed that cleaner wrasse actually ate many meaty preparations.
This is how i acclaimated my cleaner to eat meaty food. I bought the fish for 9 dollars from LFS. Once i got home i didnt drip acclimate. I put him in directly in the tank. At that time i only had a sailfin, yellotail damsel, yellow tang and clown fish. The following day, i chopped up some clams in very tiny pieces. I scattered in my water the the cleaner started muching on it. I notice that when i supplemented it with brine he would only eat the clams. so for 2 weeks i was hand feeding this guy with finely chop clams. After 2 weeks i introduced him to finely chopped scallops. He love that. for the next to weeks i was feeding clams, mussles, scallop, finely chopped. Once this guys felt comfortable eating i was able to feed him finely chopped shrimp. It has been over a year since i bought this little booger and has grown over 1". He Is not a picky eater. He will eat anything from brine,flakes, pellets and other meaty homegrown food i make. As long as the food is small enough to enter his mouth he will eat it.
This guy is the integral piece of my reef tank. All of my fish are very healthy becuase of him.

espkh9

I got a cleaner wrasse the other day because I suspected some of my tangs might have had ich..they did not.I bought the cleaner wrasse for my 125 reef I have a purple tang and a Regal tang..I tried with a cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp but they dont do much cleaning..I had no idea of the situation of the coral reefs in the world...but knew I needed to do everything in my power to help my inhabitants live a good parasite free life..I'm just wondering why the shrimps don't do cleaning in my tank ??? th wrasse goes into the gills and cleans every part of every fish....but being that I have 80 corals in my tank and it's not reef safe I'm concerned should I get him out ? how much damage can he do to my sps,lps softies etc.. I have just about every kind of common corals...mostly lps,them sps and a few softies and mushroom..I just got a ricordea super colored piece and it was very very expensive I wouldbe devistated if anything happened to t his one of a kind ricordeas.

espkh9

the cleaner wrasse swims on the top of the reef alot so getting him out wouldn't be that hard...but he cleans the fish so I'm at a stalemate...have a fish clean potential parasites of your fish and keep them healthy with the risk of the wrasse killing the corals ??? I dunno help!

chilwil84

sepulatian;2580797 said:
You had all of the right info and I am sure the best of intentions until....this
I am sure that you didn't mean it the way that it came out though.
no didnt mean any questions but questions whether you should buy a cleaner wrasse and have said to have done some reaserch first. this is where i was coming from with the fishing for the answer you want to hear. if coming to the forum was the beginning of the research it was a very good line of questions.
i dont think any animal should be removed if it isnt gonna live, and i dont believe the argument of removing the fish is gonna affect the environment any more than the herbevours most of us have in our tanks effect the reefs. tangs are said to be one of the main fish that keep coral allive after a bleaching so that argument goes to most fish.
never had a goby but they are supposed to be easy to breed and are short lived so if you like the fish try breeding them prob be a pretty cool project.
i would still think about the shrimp they interact with people different than most fish.

robdog696

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2582040
I'm just wondering why the shrimps don't do cleaning in my tank ??? how much damage can he do to my sps,lps softies etc..
Shrimps are not obligate parasite feeders. They search for any food they can find. If they do not see parasites on the fish then they will not set up a cleaning station. For a juvenile cleaner wrasse, that is their only food source. So they will inspect your other fish for anything they can find. They are aften seen swimming in the mouths of much larger fish, unharmed.
As I said before, they generally only feed on damaged coral tissue. Also, they do not harm softies. Occasionally LPS, but mostly SPS. I've never had one, so I can't guess to what extent they will damage corals. I would say that if you can get it eating small pieces of meaty preparations it probably won't do noticeable damage to your corals. Just guessing from what I have read. Good luck with it.

florida joe

Let me say this about cleaner wrasses and ick. Ick is microscopic what you see is the encasemen of ick in a protctive shell they will not eleminate ick in your tank leave them in the ocean

robdog696

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2582068
questions whether you should buy a cleaner wrasse and have said to have done some reaserch first. this is where i was coming from with the fishing for the answer you want to hear. i don't believe the argument of removing the fish is gonna affect the environment
You based your assessment of my question on your own beliefs. It would be like you asking whether or not you should buy a sandwich from Sub way and me calling it a loaded question because I believe that the spinach leaves Sub way uses are slowly poisoning the world. There is no evidence to support this belief. And my questions were inspired by the discovery that there is little to no evidence to support yours. I understand why you responded the way you did. And I respect your opinion. You are obviously a valuable member of this site who is very knowledgeable and helpful. But I just wanted to prove to you that your premature judgment of my character was less than fair. Again, thanks for your reply. This will be my last post on this thread.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/post/2582127
Let me say this about cleaner wrasses and ick. Ick is microscopic what you see is the encasemen of ick in a protctive shell they will not eleminate ick in your tank leave them in the ocean
Right, cleaner fish are nothing more than a band-aid approach to ich. They do nothing, the white spot you see is dead tissue, the actual parasite is buried in the fish. I strongly suggest that every hobbiest become familiar with the life cycle of the ich parasite; then treatment options will make sense. Here's an excellent thread on this site:https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/127007/faqs-fish-diseases-treatments-quarantine-health-info

T

tizzo

Doesn't the cleaner get ick himself?? So while he's making a better life for the rest of the tank, his gills and skin are being invaded in the process??
Or are they immune to ick.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2582783
Doesn't the cleaner get ick himself?? So while he's making a better life for the rest of the tank, his gills and skin are being invaded in the process??
Or are they immune to ick.
Sure, within the confines of a tank, they'll get it too--at least I've never heard anything that says they won't. Ich in the open ocean is not a serious problem and can't be compared to ich in a tank. Again; they do absolutely nothing to control ich and I doubt they are of any real value in an aquarium. They may even make things worse by giving a false sense of security and delaying real treatment. The ONLY ways to cure ich are hypo-salinity or copper. Not understanding the life cycle of this parasite will lead to disaster.

srfisher17

I stopped in a lfs over the weekend on the way to the airport; a long trip for me. I saw a false cleaner wrasse (Aspidontus taeniatus) for the 1st time in years. Nasty, but clever fish. I told the owner, he checked, and marked it "hold" I don't know if it was being "held" for his wholesaler, or the sign came down as soon as I left.. It was by itself, fortunately.