Cleaner Wrasse

angelfish

Anyone have any experiences with cleaner wrasses. I have bought 2 and the first one died on the 2nd week. My newest one is a little sluggish. I have him in my quaratine tank until I think he will survive. Am I missing something as far a procedure? I am acclimating him to the tank like any other fish but I don't know if he requires special treatment. Thanks for any suggestions.
Angel

angelfish

Water levels are fine but I don't have any sand. I do have barnacles for the wrasse to go into and the first one used it. As a matter of fact he slept there at night and knew when it was bed time. I just don't want to lose the other one. As far as hiding places, I don't have many places for him to go. Should I get some and what kind? LR?
Thanks
Angel

mr . salty

The thing about cleaners is ,like the mandarine fish,they have a very specific diet. Thier main food sorce is the parasites they pick off the fish. They dont usually live long in captivity.Like the manderine they slowly starve to death. STEVE

angelfish

Hey dray how long have you had your cleaner? Mr. Salty how long do you think the cleaner will live since the last one lived 2 weeks? I don't feel like buying cleaners each time they die every two weeks. Thanks you guys
Angel

mr . salty

It's hard to say.As I said,they generally don't live long because of thier specialized diet. I would reccomend NOT buying any more. And by putting him in a Q-tank,you have cut him off of any possible parasites to feed on.STEVE

angelfish

Actually, today I introduced my cleaner into the main tank. He is swimming about and seems to be doing ok. Like the other wrasse, I fed him brine, flake, and krill. I tried to feed some bloodworms but none of the fish seem to take to it. I guess I will go now to the lfs to pickup some plankton and hopefully this will help. I am also going to get some extra hiding places for him to go. I don't particular feel quite at ease with LR so any other suggestions guys?
Thanks
Angel

tjswanson

My cleaner wrasse is the fattest wrasse I have ever seen. He loves my big naso and eats like crazy for me. sammy, I have also caught my emperor cleaning my naso. TJ

jimi

I have had great luck with my cleaner wrasse. It eats just about anything it can swallow. It even eats the seaweed selects I put in for my tang and angels. I think the key to getting a good one is look for a semi large one atleast 2in or larger, should be plump as far as cleaners go, should be active with fins open not clamped, and should readily eat at your lfs before you buy it like any other fish.

Cleaner Wrasses will eat other food, but the food that will sustain them for a long period of time is the parasties. In the wild there are so many fish to clean teh cleaner can survive by constantly looking for new fish to clean. In captivity, these guys will do what they need to do to survive (i.e. eat shirmp and worms and stuff) but their main purpose in life, to clean, is not there and they will not survive for a long period of time. I've have asked my lfs and they agree that they are wonderful for awhile, and they recommend getting one when you have a sick fish, then returning it when the parasites are gone, and then they can rotate it around their tanks until someone else needs it, and by doing this duplicates teh natureal instinct of the cleaner.
~~Megan

angelfish

Needless to say everyone, I lost my cleaner wrasse due to my territorial yellow tail damsel. I caught the damsel attacking the cleaner and 3 days later I saw the yellow tail eating the carcass ( I didn't know the cleaner died overnight probably due to the yellow tail ). I will not get another cleaner because I can't provide him with the natural environment that he is used to so I will try the cleaner shrimp.
Angel

mr . salty

The BB seems to be divided on the issue about cleaner Wrasses,So the choice is up to you,as always. I think you have made the right one.STEVE