Cleaner Wrasses need input / have some to offer

salth2o

Happy Holidays to everyone,
I recently aquired a 5" Hippo Tang. He is incredible, but like all hippo's they have a little problem with ick. So, two days later he had ick. I used 2 cleaner wrasses and within 6 hours the ick was cleared up.
Has anyone else used these little gems? I have a couple cleaner shrimp, but I feel they are fat and lazy and don't do anything useful.
Anyone have any feedback on cleaner wrasses

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, if you are environmentally conscientious in this hobby, this particular fish is on the "Leave in the Ocean" list.
Yes, it does an excellent job at cleaning up your ick problems with fish--as long as the problem is just a few spots and not an all-out infestation.
However, these fish also perform this same function in its natural habitats. It is a fact that where these fish have been heavily harvested for the aquaria industry, the ecosystems from where they have been removed have been significantly negetively impacted. These fish are not prolific in the wild, therefore, even a bit of harvesting can be devastating to the reefs. On top of this, these fish are not that hardy for the captive tank either. They are hard to keep and frequently die in captivity sooner rather than later. In many places, specifically in reefs of the USA, they are banned from removal from reefs.
I think there are better ways to deal with the ick problems of our captive fish then depleting the viability of our precious world reefs.
I know you probably did not know this, so, don't take my post here personally. I'm glad to have the opportunity to speak about this.
[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

salth2o

Interesting Beth, but as long these animals/fish are offered for sale, people will purchase them. I find them very fascinating. As a matter of fact, my kids named them after the 2 eels in little mermaid :)
I appreciate the post. Happy Holidays to you.
Travis

salth2o

12 days later - The ich 'seems' to be gone. It has not surfaced since. They all seem to be eating like pigs :).. The wrasses are doing fine so far. They look quite healthy.