cleaner wrasses

flpriest

Hi NateP,

I am fairly new to SWF, about 4 months, but have many years experience in FWF. I have a Cleaner Wrasse, I just got him last week from this site. I wish I would have done more research on him before I got him, but... I didn't.
I just saw what was wrote about him from the discription and thought he would be cool. With all of that said, maybe I got lucky with this guy (Squiggy). I acclimated him like I was instructed to, and as soon as I put him in the tank he went directly to my Yellow Tang and started cleaning him!
Sunny, (the Tang) just sat there and let squiggy clean him all up. Then the Wrasse started following around all of the other fish in my tank and offered to clean who ever would eccept it.
He even cleans on my Green Manderine!
He eats everything I put in the tank for the rest of the fish, Krill, frozen food (Myss shrimp, and emerald entray) and seaweed sheets. He even picks at the LR in the tank. The only thing he doesn't really care for is the pellets (Formula two marine pellet). He really seems partial to the krill (freeze dried kind). And, like MJWillet says, mine will clean my hand when I have it in the tank messing around. Very friendly little guy! :happyfish When I put the food in the tank he enters the frenzy along with the rest. Like I said I've only had him for a week now, but he appears to be doing well. I guess we'll see in a year or two. :thinking: If Squiggy doesn't make it though, I won't get another knowing about them what I know now.
Here is a pick of him eating some seaweed
Good luck with the one you get... if you still decide so.

flpriest

Originally Posted by ophiura
Note:
Here is the "false cleaner" wrasse which I would guess may be more likely to eat additional foods, as well as truly "pick" at fish.
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary...ry.php?id=6066
This is the "true cleaner" wrasse:
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary...ry.php?id=5459
A primary difference is in the position of the mouth.
Ophiura, I'm not being disrespectful, or questoning your knowledge, but the picture you posted on the link of the "true cleaner wasse" looks "Exactly" like the one that I got from SWF.com Positioning of the mouth and all! He's a cool little guy and I hope he continues to do as he does today....

dogstar

The first link is the FALSE Cleaner, its a blenny. The mouth is more under the tip of the fish. This fish also has one long dorsal fin merging right into the tail like any other blenny.
The second link titled True Cleaner is the true cleaner wrasse. The mouth is the tip. Its dorsal fin is much shorter.

flpriest

Ophiura, nobody, including yourself actually explains the exact difference in the positioning of the mouth. Is it a difference of degree's? Or is it a difference of size? Because if it is such a minute difference, how would we amatures tell the difference between a "true cleaner wrasse" and a "false cleaner wrasse"? Only because the true one would starve itself to death in a home auquarium? I'm just asking? :notsure:
Here are some more pics of Squiggy, not real good, but the positioning of the mouth still looks the same as the "true cleaner wrasse"

flpriest

Originally Posted by Dogstar
The first link is the FALSE Cleaner, its a blenny. The mouth is more under the tip of the fish. This fish also has one long dorsal fin merging right into the tail like any other blenny.
The second link titled True Cleaner is the true cleaner wrasse. The mouth is the tip. Its dorsal fin is much shorter.
Thank you dogstar for a little clarification to us laymen. So does anybody have an opinion by the pic what Squiggy is?
He still resembles a "true Cleaner Wrasse" to me.
:help:
It's hard to get a good pic of the little guy.... He's pretty fast! :hilarious

dogstar

The first pic is my TRUE Cleaner wrasse
The second pic shows the mouth under the nose on the FALSE

saltwater8

Get a neon goby...they not only will survive, but, unlike the cleaner wrasse, wont stress your fish by always trying to pick at them when they don't want/need it...
Its a win-win both ways...
:happyfish

ophiura

Originally Posted by flpriest
Ophiura, I'm not being disrespectful, or questoning your knowledge, but the picture you posted on the link of the "true cleaner wasse" looks "Exactly" like the one that I got from SWF.com Positioning of the mouth and all! He's a cool little guy and I hope he continues to do as he does today....

OK, that's good. I am not sure how saying it looks like a true cleaner wrasse is questioning anyone's knowledge?? I didn't imply that you DIDN"T have a true cleaner so no worries I assume???

flpriest

:happyfish
Originally Posted by ophiura
OK, that's good. I am not sure how saying it looks like a true cleaner wrasse is questioning anyone's knowledge?? I didn't imply that you DIDN"T have a true cleaner so no worries I assume???