Cleaning Aquarium

R

rhgsa

Hey guys im new to the hobby. I was at a restaurant auction and got a really good deal on a 130 gallon. My problem is when the restaurant went out of business no one drained the tank so it set there for like a year and all the water evaporated leaving spots allover the glass. I have tried cleaning them off with a steam cleaner they got a little better but I cant get them all the way off. So my question is can you guys recommend any way or anything to remove the film? Also there are a few scratches in the glass anyway to fix them? Thanks for your help

jumpfrog

Have you tried a single edge razor blade? I would try a inconspicous spot, perhaps on the back bottom and see if it removes the film. It may well be calcium deposits that should come off with some elbow grease. There are polishes out there made to polish glass and remove fine scratches. A google on glass sratch remover should yeild some good results.
Good luck!

J

jdragunas

I wouldn't use a razor blade until you know if it's an acrylic or glass tank. If it's acrylic, it'll scratch it up.
You can use a 1 part bleach, 4 part water mix to clean it, and then give it a good rinse. If it's glass, you can use some sort of scrubby pad (make sure it's soapless) to get the tough stuff off.

R

rhgsa

Thanks for the fast response guys I just tried the razor blade and vinegar no help and truest me I already have hours of elbow grease into it LOL. I am going to go try the bleach now. When it is wet it looks clean but as soon as it dries you can see the spots all over it. P.S. the aquarium is glass

jumpfrog

I wonder if the glass is somehow etched. That would explain nothing taking off the surface film. Perhaps trying a little bit of glass polish to see if that helps. I recently converted a 72 bow from reef after 3 years to a discus tank. It was covered in coraline and calcium deposits. The razor blade worked like a champ and the tank was crystal clear.
If the glass looks clear when it's wet and then hazes when it dries, would it look clear when it's filled with water and running :notsure:

divetroop

I had a tank once that had severe calcium deposits. I removed the calcium deposits but it was a bit risky :scared: . I used "CLR" with a soft sponge and green sponge and the calium deposits came right off. But I made sure I really scrub and cleaned the chemical off by using warm soapy water afterwards. I rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and rinsed til I was completely satisfied that it was clean and safe enough to add livestock to it. The tank looked like new afterwards. But like I said it was a bit risky using "CLR", but it worked

R

rhgsa

Thanks again jumpfrog I was thinking the same thing about it might look clear when filled and running since it looks good when wet. Also was wondering if it would be ok to try acetone on it? So it is ok to use the glass polish on the inside of the tank? Thanks again

jumpfrog

Yes, it's ok to use the glass polish. In fact Coralife makes a product for that. Just rinse real good before adding animals. I think I would try that full wet test before burning all the extra calories.
Good Luck!

J

jdragunas

it's really ok to use anything as long as you rinse it really really really well before you add any water or livestock to it.

merredeth

If the tank looks good when you wet it and it is going to be filled with water, what is the difference if if you don't get it perfect? Just work on the top area where there isn't going to be water if all looks well. Fill it up and let it sit for day with tap water and then take a good light to it and take a close look.
Personally, I used vinegar and water mixed together with a green scrubber (the type you buy at the LFS as they have no soaps or antibacterial stuff in them) and used plenty of elbow grease to get a used one back to norm.
As for small scratches, try to get them out as if your tank's parameters get out of whack, you can get green algae into those scratches and create more elbow work for yourself.
Denise M.