cleaning live sand?

splashed

OK, I have about 1.5" of ls . . . and I clean it, about twice a month with my gravel cleaner. (It starts to look kinda dirty) I have had people tell me not to clean ls, not to disrupt the bed at all. But, it looks so much nicer afterwards.
Opinions?

nudibranch

I would think you would suck all the sand up in a gravel vaccum. Are you sure you don't have crushed coral?? Even if it is LS you would be removing all of the beneficial microbes...I wouldn't do it. Part of the reef look is the way the sand bed develops.

splashed

I hook my gravel cleaner to my Mag 350 filter and turn the suction down, it does suck some sand (thus having to clean my filter so often) it pulls the sand up into it, rolls around . . . sucks the dirties up and spits the sand out. (mostly)
And, yes . . . its ls.
What about the coraline and scum that grows on the glass at the sandbed?
So . . . it is really bad to clean . . . ok, what are some cool sand sifters . . . Ive got a big cleanup crew, keeps the top beautiful . . . but they dont touch the bottom . . .
thanks

donmgicwon

I don't think a 1.5" deep SB is enough to qualify for a DSB, from what I understand that depth on a SB is not a good idea. You need AT LEAST 3" or just go bare bottom.

benj2112

I think it is fine that you clean your sand. Plus you might want to only keep your sand at a level of 1" instead of 1.5" (no reason other than less sand to deal with).
The reason I say this is because Steveweast (who has the famous 850-gallon tank) cleans his sand. At your sand depth it isn't really providing any biological benefit (at 1 or 1.5") to your tank and is just giving it a more natural look.
I believe you might want to just replace the sand you suck out with more cured sand (just go out and buy a few bags of Southdown and always have some cured stuff ready...kind of like always having some extra saltwater handy). This way you won't build-up waste and nutrients in your shallow sand bed. Also, if you are going to clean your sand you need to keep on top of that and always clean it or else you will have problems.
Also...no sand under or behind rocks where people can't see (or you can't get to I suppose).
Since I am talking about Steveweast and what he has said he does for maintenance on his tank I thought I had better provide a link to a thread of his.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/88577/500-gal-reef-converted-to-850gal-reef

splashed

Thanks so much for the information . . .
and that link . . .
wow.
Bow down to SteveWeast.
man o man o man . . . Im going to start calling my 42G a nano!

splashed

Benji2112 . . .
When you said no sand under rocks or where it is hard to get . . . did you mean not to clean it? Or to not have any sand under the rocks? I dont ever move my rocks around, they are on/in the sand right now, and I clean up to them, but not under them.

benj2112

Well, since it isn't really much sand and you already have things set up I guess it is fine. Most people put their rocks right on top of their sand (deep sand beds) and have no problems. I don't like it, though, as that sand under the rocks can become a dead spot. Maybe I am just being picky, but I want to avoid all dead spots in my sand. The big argument most people have against just putting the rocks all the way to the bottom is rock can be expensive and who wants to spend money on rock that is going to be mostly covered by sand. Of course you can build racks out of pvc pipe to set the rocks on to solve that (all right enough rambling on that topic).
I mean to not have sand where you can't clean it...that sand will probably get pretty nasty and become a spot of nutrient build-up that will pollute the water in your tank with its shallow sand bed.

benj2112

splashed ~ I mentioned putting rocks on a support system to avoid putting rocks all they way to the bottom.
This link shows how Steveweast does this ...the thread is actually talking about phosphate (which is really good information to read about), but it mentions and shows pictures of the rack on page two.
Steveweast says he is making a very, very detailed website about how he has built his tank and everything else in it with lots of pictures. I can't wait till he finishes up with that. :jumping:

donmgicwon

I think most people want to make their tanks as maint. free as possible. Just keeping up with the filter, water changes and skimmer are enough for most full time workers. I would recommend the DSB, plenty of current and some cleaners (serp. stars, hermits, snails and an LMB) they will keep your sand surface clean for you. The DSB also aids in the nitrogen process to keep your water quality high. JMT and alot of others.

benj2112

Originally posted by donmgicwon
I think most people want to make their tanks as maint. free as possible. Just keeping up with the filter, water changes and skimmer are enough for most full time workers. I would recommend the DSB, plenty of current and some cleaners (serp. stars, hermits, snails and an LMB) they will keep your sand surface clean for you. The DSB also aids in the nitrogen process to keep your water quality high. JMT and alot of others.

I am not knocking DSB. I actually have one (although I am still a little nervous about mine and try to keep it active with a good supply of new critters from detritivore kits and sand swaps). I just think that it is ok for Splashed to clean her sand, since she doesn't actually have a DSB.

benj2112

Help!!! I'm getting in trouble!! :scared:
I see professional killer as occupation and I get a little nervous.
Ahhh...Mr. Kip...(nervous to look in the eye...)...
Should Spashed just boost her sand shifters in her SSB and make sure she exports as much nutrients as she puts in her tank then rather than clean the sand?
[Edit: Well, I read what I wrote a while ago and thought I better just clarify that I am just joking with the "Help...eye" part (not trying to be a jerk or anything...especially after all the help kip gave me when I was trying to figure out Ca/Alk a while ago...love that balancing chart)...the question is serious, though.]

tervman

This thread brings up a situation that I am dealing with now, with my 55G tank that has been up for a couple of months.
I have a lot of green algae on the surface of my SB, which is about 2" deep. I purchased a clean-up crew 2 weeks ago: 2 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Emerald Crabs, 10 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 5 Cerith Snails, and 10 Turbo Snails. I had read where it was better to start with a smaller clean-up crew, and add on later, as opposed to purchasing too big of a crew, and having them starve after they cleaned everything.
Anyway, as I said, the sand surface is covered in green algae, and I was thinking the ONLY way out was to clean it during the next water change.
If I shouldn't clean it, what can I do to get the algae off the SB surface?
Thanks.

tervman

Originally posted by Kip4130
also... isntead of having to continually fix the problem of algae.. why not address the source of the algae problem
things to consider:
type of sand
water source
lighting
circulation
feeding:
-PO4
-NO3

Alright, here we go:
Live sand, purchased at a lfs before I knew better
Water - tap, to be replaced VERY soon by an RO filter
Lighting - 8-10 hrs/day; fluor lights that came with the tank, to be replaced in the next couple of weeks by MH
Circulation - bio-wheel; protein skimmer
Feeding - flake and sheet algae
Parms - dead-on perfect
What should I change (besides the water source, which is obvious).

donmgicwon

Let me start by saying I have never had algae. I have a small cleaning crew and an LMB. I don't want to go around telling everyone to run out and buy an LMB but it does seem they like to clean. I also started out from the begining following the advice I got from books minus the RO thing (which I added RIGHT after becoming a member here). Protein skimming from the start, ALWAYS doing my reg. water changes and I have 5 PHS (1500 GPH) + my 400 GPH fluval filter. I" feed every day but very little. My nitrates have never even shown up on my tests since my second week of RO water changes and PO4 has dropped every week. I do get that VERY light reddish/brown layer on my SB every time I put in live phyto (usually shows up the next day) but it goes away in a day. I also get it when I wait more than 2 days to use my Mag. Float. I think if I clean the glass every day the small amount of slime from the glass is insuficient to cause any problems.
I guess what I'm trying to say is the more attention you pay to the small details the better your tank will look. Oh, and I run carbon all the time and try to change it every 4 weeks. Maybe I've just been lucky.

splashed

Wow, thanks for all the information, comments and opinions. I am going to keep my shallow sand bed, and clean it cuz I like the look. From what I have been reading, it doesnt help my tank (cuz its shallow) and as long as I dont mind the work, its ok to clean it.
I have my rocks settled as far into the sand as possible (for stability) I have some friends that use the pcp pipe thing - but I can see it and dont like it (and mines a hex, would be hard to do) so, I was thinking about using some type of glue to permenantly keep the base layers of rocks together . . . do they sale something specific for swf tanks? Or is there something that is safe on the market?
Thanks again for all your help.

benj2112

Originally posted by splashed
I have my rocks settled as far into the sand as possible (for stability) I have some friends that use the pcp pipe thing - but I can see it and dont like it (and mines a hex, would be hard to do) so, I was thinking about using some type of glue to permenantly keep the base layers of rocks together . . . do they sale something specific for swf tanks? Or is there something that is safe on the market?

Have your rocks been unstable? I try to stay away from glueing rocks together as I might want to move things around in the future for some reason.
If you do want to glue there are safe ones to use...Aquarium Systems HoldFasT Epoxy Stick, Two Little Fishies AquaStick - Red Coralline, ESV Zap Gel Instant Adhesive being some I have found. Just do a google search for aquarium epoxy and you should find lots. I did glue two smaller rocks together with some super glue when I first started my tank. That is suppose to be safe.