Cleaning out an old tank from the garage...

ktwheet

I am thinking about taking my hubby's old freshwater tank out of the garage and cleaning it up to use as a quarantine tank if I ever need it. The problem is that we stopped keeping freshwater fish because everything we put in that tank died almost immediately. I think some kind of cleaning chemical got in it. Is there a good way to clean out an old tank and be sure to get whatever it is out of the tank? Also, could someone in simple terms explain to me how exactly I should set up the quarantine tank? Should it be kept up and running all the time or only set up as needed? I think the tank is about a 30 gallon so I need to know about filtration, etc.

jtirone

by no means am I an expert, but I would say to lose that old tank. a 30 gallon tank only is cheap enough to just buy a new one.
If everything that you put in it died, I would not risk it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If there is a possibility that the old tank was exposed to chemicals, then you should probably not use it for fish. Use it for a plant terrarium instead
. However, if you are dying to use it, then give it a good scrub down with mild detergent, rinse, rinse, rinse, then fill it with water and bleech mixture let it sit for a couple of hrs. Again, rinse, rinse, rinse. Let stand in full sun for few days. Cover the top for a day in the sun, then open it. Give it a good snif for any odor [like oil, chemicals, etc] If it has any odor, don't use it. If it seems ok, give it a try.
Usually, a quarantine tank is set up all the time so that you can quarantine new specimens before it takes up permanent residence in your main tank. You can set up very similiar to how you have your main tank setup or scale it down, if you like. Alternatively, if you don't want a standby tank sitting around the house all the time, you can setup a hospital/qarantine tank just for when you need it [when fish are sick or you want to quarantine a new specimen]. If you go with the permanent quarantine setup, then cycle it with a hardy, inexpensive fish [not a damsel, unless you plan to get rid of it after you cycle]. The reason I say use a hardy, inexpensive [not a damsel] fish to cycle is because: you need it to cycle your tank, if your garage tank is contamonated, using such a fish to test it before bringing home a prized, expensive specimen is wise, and finally, damsels are too aggressive. A damsel alone in a small quarantine tank will become very aggressive and start harrassing any new fish you put in there. You don't want a newly acquired beauty or your favorite old fish that's sick to be tormented to death by a dumb old damsel. Good luck !
[This message has been edited by beth (edited 07-08-2000).]

krazzydart

I say depending on what was in the tank before even the fresh water fishes.... was it used for lizzards or mice or ferrets????? if so it is no good!!!!!! the urine of these animals gets into the silacone and in turn gets into the water killing everything..... But you could do what Beth says and set up the tank..... Im my Q-tank I run a skilter 400, and a hydro-sponge (with a small power head) a heater and thats it... a little crushed coral on the bottom and a lb. of live rock.... keep it running all the time .... I also have a couple of cleaner shrimp in it ..... Good Luck.....

ktwheet

Thanks everyone for the replies. It has never been used for animals, so that isn't the problem. I think I will try to clean it out and then buy a test fish for it. I am thinking of buying some kind of lionfish for my main tank and have one talbot damsel that I really like that is docile, so maybe I will let her live there with some shrimp or something to keep the biological element present. That way she wouldn't be lunch and I could get my lion. Anyway, cleaning time it is! Thanks for the info! OH, also, where is a good place on the internet to buy a little filter for the quarantine tank and what do you recommend?

mr . salty

Krazzydart, My 40gal,I'm currently moving out of, has been running perfectly after having RATS in it for two years. STEVE