Cleaning Skimmer....how much

michaeltx

when ever it looks like it really needs it. the hole where the gunk comes up will slowly build up and start to cut the bubble flow off then its deffinately time for a good cleaning. most of the time though a good cleaning of the collection cup is all thats needed.
the prefilter on the pump should be cleaned at every water change though with the old SW.
Mike

wade163

ok thanks...so for the most part...its due for a MAJOR cleanaing....ASAP. and I have some tube warms growning on the "prefilter"...(I think thats what it clalled). So what do I do with them??

stanlalee

I clean the pump every month or two and the collection cup as needed but the actual body I never clean.

mr_x

i rinse the sponge that surrounds the riser tube every so often(like once a month), and the collection cup every time i empty it. i took the pump apart once(about 8 months after i bought it) and it looked brand new inside so i haven't opened it since.

jawdubb

I clean ours everytime I do a water change which is every 2 weeks or sometimes I get lazy and it happens after 3 weeks.