cleaning up?

salt one

ok, i keep hearing about a clean up crew. i have a 75 gallon reef tank with 4 fish and i plate coral and 55 pounds of live rock, and i want to know about these packeges, where you get Ex. 20 turbo snails and stuff, but when i read what i am getting it seems so much, do i need these creatures to keep my tank running good?

mattborn

I have about 25 turbos, 35 hermits, 3 emerald crabs, 2 brittle stars, and a Sally Lightfoot in my 30 gallon tank. I had an algae problem before, but not since I added those little critters. It really doesn't even seem like there are that many in the tank, and I actually really enjoy watching them work around the tank. I think they're a great asset to the tank.
[This message has been edited by mattborn (edited 07-13-2000).]

hermit

I am going to go out on a limb and say that all these little critters are one of the most important things in a reef tank.. I am sure that someone is going to disgree with me but that is OK... I have a 15 gallon micro reef with lots of these little guys in it.. Yes originally it was to control algae but now that I have a protein skimmer that has helped a great deal with the algae as well as keeping my phosphate levels down.
Even it you don't have much algae in there for them you can always drop a piece of krill in there for 'em. I know that when I feed my anenome they always are there cleaning up the last little bits of stuff that it drops to the floor.. I would much rather have more then less of these invaluable critters.. They help keep the glass clean (astea, or turbos) and the blue legs that I have keep the live sand nicely turned up on an ongoing basis...
Good luck.. With regards to your question about where to get them.. I never ordered a cleaning kit persay but I just went down to my LFS and bought what I need.. There are all sorts of "Rules of Thumb" to guide you through how many to have in your tank..
Bill

salt one

thanks for the help...i might just order a kit from this site. what is a sally light foot, i keep hearing people talk about them?

hermit

A Sally lightfoot is a small sized (traditional) looking crab... Center style thorax with the legs off to the left and right.. I had one in my tank for a while.. I thought they were cool looking in the begining but it got to be a pain after awhile.. Mine seemed to get territorial and push some of the other criters around.. Not one of my best purchases....
It's up to you though..

krazzydart

its your choice..... if you know anyone in the area that might need some critters you can split the order with them.....