Cleanup Crew on aisle 75gal

Weatherboy

So, the 75 FOWLR is going.
Two damsels, 3 hermits. That's it.

Need to consider clean up crew, two clowns, and an anemone of some kind. Then go from there.

As for clean up. Wife wants a shrimp and a pink urchin. But those are costly and may take a bit before we get. Rather have clowns first.

So my question, how many snails, hermits...etc should I consider? Saw this site here has a package for 75 gal, but recommends like 50 critters! Oh, and $$$

Plus not too concerned about looks of them. As I've seen different versions/kinds.
Cheap Suggestions?

one-fish

I have a 55g with a deep sand bed have a dozen nassiarus snails, 4 astraea snails and 3 hermits. I just did get an urchin.... works for me... I like the nassiarus snails they pop out from the sand bed during feedings look like little zombies running all around..kinda funny.. really don't think there is that magical how many number..

one-fish

Best to wait on adding an anemone it requires a tank that has matured and will also require high intensity lighting.

Salt Lifer

I have a 72gal and my cleanup crew started with 10 blue leg hermits and 10 astrea snails. Hermits are .99 each and the snails are $2 at my LFS. I now have 2 emerald crabs, a peppermint shrimp and a chocolate chip sea star but that's just because I think they're cool. So far no one has starved to death but I have fish that get fed every day and my tank is 4 years old.

Weatherboy

Thanks. Here is my tank. I do have a big light on it with LED and Blue lights that's 40". Its not $300, but its bright. How big of a light do I need? I will never have corals, but would be cool to have an anemone.

So the next question, If I buy two clowns in the coming weeks, then an anemone 4 months later, will they still house it?

Attachments

jay0705

2 things. Brightness doesn't mean much. I get where your coming from tho. Its lumes and light waves if you will. Blue kessils are not putting off a ton of bright but to a nem its the correct type of lighting due to its out put and such. Honestly more corals need less light then most nems. Nems are one of the most light and flow hungry critters out there.
2nd there are no guarantees any clown will take to a nem. The nem hosts the clown tho. Some do, some don't. The ones that due however are generally more aggressive then clowns w o a nem

jay0705

By the time your tank is ready for a nem you can save your pennys and get something like a kessil led and be fine

Weatherboy

Question, do peppermint shrimp kill snails? Read they did, but see many who have both. Wife wants shrimp. And can I house 2? What about with emerald crabs?

lmforbis

I've never had luck with emeralds. Peppermint shrimp are fine. They tend to hide so she may be disappointed. I had several I had put in my 125. I didn't think I had any more when I transferred to my 120 in March. Turns out I did. It got pretty big but I found it when I pried it out of my dogs mouth. It must have fallen off a rock I was moving.
I prefer the skunk cleaners.
Coral banded look nice but can be aggressive.

jay0705

Agreed. I can't keep emeralds either. Pep, skunks, blood shrimp are all good choices. They will only eat a snail if its dead

2quills

I like peps because they help keep the rocks pest free from aiptasia. But they stay hidden in the rocks all the time. I go for weeks or sometimes months in between sightings.

Cleaners are ok. Haven't tried the blood red ones yet.

Weatherboy

This is good to know. Used to have a blue crawfish that I dropped $35 on, never saw him. Would tick me off.
She likes the bright red ones, but at $30 a pop, not sure.
LFS has peps for $10.

jay0705

Skunks are generally the most visible. The reds are notorious for hiding while the lights are on. I've considered getting them tho myself lol

iidylii

I have 1 kessil 150 in my tank and my nem is doing great so far...I to have never been able to keep an emerald crab alive for more then a month or so...everything above said about the shrimps I agree...peps are boring but do nice clean up (my pep will not stay in my DT though I have taken him out of my sump several times and put him back in the DT only to find him back in the sump the next day lol)..cleaner skunks are pretty awesome and out most of the time cleaning and are pretty flashy...but yeah I would add to CUC as you go along like forbis said to many and they will starve...good luck

Weatherboy

So dumb question, is it live rock growing after 2 weeks or algae?
As when do I need to order a CUC? Only have 3 hermits now.
Most of the water has been in for 4 weeks. Added 20 gallons more last Friday.

Attachments

iidylii

live rock is only called live rock because it has living organisms that take to it..if that is what your asking idk...and I think you would be safe to add a few more hermits or shrimp or snails...there isn't a science to it...its just kind of add a couple here and there and see how they do if they don't make it then theres a good chance theres not enough food to support that many

lmforbis

It is live rock when it is colonized with the beneficial bacteria. This makes up the majority of your biological filter. Other live things on it are a bonus.