cleanup crew

lineman1

i have a hair algae problem just like a bunch of others in this forum. however i purchased 4 emerald crabs and they seem to be working on eliminating my problem. here is my question i have a 55 fowlr is 4 crabs to much or is 10 crabs to much and what other options are there for cleanup crew.

happyhourh

I would look into 3 or 4 turbo snails. They wipe out hair algae. The emerald crabs will take it down but not nearly as fast as turbo snails. I'd also say you were capped out at 4 emeralds for your 55.

garnet13aj

I have 2 emeralds in my 55 and they seem to be keeping the hair algae at bay. I've heard snails will only eat it if it's short, but it couldn't hurt to add a few in there. Also, pulling it out by hand when doing water changes is also a good way to keep it at bay. I'd stick with the four you've got though, as far as emeralds go, you don't want to overdo it.
Good luck, hair algae can be a real pain!

rbrockm1

snails only eat the short stuff. four emeralds is plenty. you could also get phos-ban. only is you have a phosphate problem.

happyhourh

I have bought rocks before that were covered in long hair algae and my turbo snails mowed it all down by morning. So they dont only eat short stuff.