Cleanup crew

mcbdz

IMO it is best to get a mix of different snails and I also like hermits. The different snails do different areas(rock, glass, sand) and hermite do algeas and leftover food.

granny

Yes, and some are pests. Personally, I do not like hermits. They kill your snails. Shrimp are excellent scavengers, more interesting and peaceful inhabitants. Take a look at the invert lists for sale here. The product descriptions will tell you what each critter excels at. It also depends on the fish you have in your tank.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Granny
Yes, and some are pests. Personally, I do not like hermits. They kill your snails. Shrimp are excellent scavengers, more interesting and peaceful inhabitants. Take a look at the invert lists for sale here. The product descriptions will tell you what each critter excels at. It also depends on the fish you have in your tank.
Agree!!!

For snails, I really like the Mexican Turbos (IF you can keep them alive) and the Zebra Turbos (IF you can keep them alive). I'm able to keep both of them alive, but they do not live very long in my fuge for some odd reason, I am not able to keep snails in fuge, they die over time. I think it's because I dose and add fresh water through my sump.....Astreas is ok, they tend to live longer and do a ok job cleaning....My Cerith Snails is populating my tank like no tomorrow, I dump in 15, now there's over 100....lol.....Read up on them and find what you need.....IF you have questions, go ahead and ask, message me if you have to......

lecithin

I have a combo of Nassarius snails (if you've got a sand bed) and Astrea. They do a good job. You can use mexican turbos in the place of the Astrea, lots of people like them as well.
The nassarius sift around in your sandbed and rise out when you drop some food in there. The Astrea stay on the LR and glass and keep that clean.