Cleanup Crew

erozfish

Hello All, this is my first post to the boards, as I just registered! My question is about the Reef Packages on the site. I have a 30 gal long FOWLR tank, 1 Kole tang, and 1 4 striped damsel. I have had the tank itself setup for about a year and a half in my new home, but the tank and the rock and sand in it has been in the tank for a few years. I've just recently gotten back into it (I was a bad boy and had neglected it for a while!) I purchased the fish 5-6 months ago, and they are doing fine. I'm not sure how much live rock is in the tank, maybe 40-50lbs, with about 1-1.5" CaribSea crush coral for a substrate. I just did a 25% H2O change this weekend. My H2O parameters were good, despite ALOT of algae that had overgrown the tank. My test kits might be old. What got me back to taking care of my tank again, is that the Kole had completely cleaned off one of the rocks, so I realized how really bad it had become. It looks a lot better after a long overhaul this past weekend, but I need a cleanup crew! ON TO MY ? FINALLY! I've been looking on the site for a cleanup crew (and the way I found this message board, which is great!), I've narrowed it down to a few packages, but after reading some posts, am confused on what to buy. I was looking at the "Ten Pack", which if you price it out individually, saves over $40, but it's contents are worrying me now. It has 10 each scarlet, blueleg, emerald, turbo, and peppermint shrimp. What does everyone think about this. The # of emeralds seems a bit much to me. Also, my sand is pretty bad, so I wanted something that would keep it clean. I was going to worry about to many snails for the glass, because my Kole Tang does such a great job of cleaning it himself! Sorry to make this so lengthy, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help, and it's great to be a new member to the board!:D

jim672

erozfish,
Welcome to the Board!:D
Your instincts are good. I wouldn't put 10 emeralds in a 30 gallon tank either. Maybe 2 or 3. The hermits sound about right for your current algea situation.....and they'll get after the algea on your substrate. I might go with 20 snails, too. but I'd mix some ceriths in with the turbo's. Snails will go anywhere there's food.....rock, glass, substrate, etc.
Good luck with your renewed interest in SW !!
Jim

birdy

I personally prefer the U build it for clean up crews, I like to get mainly turbo snails and a few scarlet hermits, 1 or 2 emerald crabs would be plenty.

acez28

i was gonna get a cleanup crew from here to but i went to my LFS and they sell any kinds of hermits a dollar a piece. And the snails are $2....but they are big snails. So i just got mine from there. Only problem is they dont let u pick the kermits and u might get scarlett or zebra or bluelegs.

zibnata

this sites cleanup crews are great. I ordered twice and both times everything was a good size and healthy.

erozfish

Thanks for the input all. I do feel that 10 emeralds is too many, I'll probably just go with about 2 or 3. What about the peppermint shrimp? Are they beneficial? And what about brittle or serpeant stars? I'll probably stick with 10 each of the scarlet and blue legs, and get a variety of snails. I'd like to add a few more fish as well. I've had a few false clowns before, and always loved them for their coloration. Anyone have much experience ordering fish from the site? Thanks for all your help again.

erozfish

I'm not trying to rebuttle here, but I have had SW tanks for about 5 or 6 years. I did a lot of research before I ever set one up, but still made my mistakes, and have learned from them and the experience I have gained. I had a 30 gal high tank, which I thought would be pleasing to the eye, but realized it was too high for the rock work, and for surface area circulation. I have had my 30 long (which is 36" long) for about 4 years now. I have had a few tangs, and they never had a problem. I sold a few back. I also know that fish have personalities, and some behave different then others. I had a Kole tang before, and it was often hiding in the rock work. This one I have now is very bold and curious. Just tonight I was checking out the tank, and everywhere I was, the Kole was there, checking me out - he's not shy at all! I do know of the stocking rule, and believe me, I don't want to overstock and jeopardize my tank. I DO NOT want to get rid of my Kole - I'm willing to get rid of the damsel, but I would like to get a few false percs, because they are my favorite. I have plenty of rockwork for the Kole, and he's very healthy. I understand if he was constantly swimming back and forth, but he just calmly swims around, pecking at the glass, substrate, and rock.
I'm just trying to get a good idea of what kind of cleanup crew would most benefit my tank. Does anyone else have an opinion on NOT mixing hermits here? I have plenty of extra shells for the little guys, and was wanting to get some scarlets, and blue legs.
Thanks for the input guys.

jim672

erozfish,
I have had both scarlet and blue-legged hermits in my 45 for 3 years and haven't witnessed any problems between the two species.
Peppermint shrimp are good scavengers and "specialize" in eating aptasia.
As far as the "don't put a tang in anything smaller than a 75 gallon tank" issue.........my experience proved to me that that's good advice. I had a hippo tang in my tank for about 9 months. He was very happy and active, and a beautiful fish. He grew very fast and was in the 4-5 inch range when he developed ich......I believe now that the ich was a result of being overcrowded in my tank. The ich progressed quickly and killed him and the other fish I had in the tank. Not a nice lesson to learn!
I've never had a kole. I understand that IF there is a tang that might survive life in a small tank that the kole is probably that tang. If you keep yours, just be sure to watch him carefully for signs of ich and be ready to move him to a Q-tank, if necessary, to save your other fish.
Jim

goldrush

Remember this-- YOU could live in a 6x6 room,but would you be happy?? That's all I'm going to say on this subject.

waterwolf

Originally posted by goldrush
Remember this-- YOU could live in a 6x6 room,but would you be happy?? That's all I'm going to say on this subject.

Compare a fish to a human being? You gotta be kidding.