Cleanup Crew

erozfish

Hey everyone, I've been waiting on ordering my clean up crew, because I'm a little unsure of what to get. I think I've decided on going with the "Big 20 Bonus" package, plus 5 cerith snails, and a serpeant star for a 30 long FOWLR tank. It consists of 20 scarlets, 30 blue legs, 20 turbos(astreas), and 2 emerald crabs. I already have 4 peppermint shrimp, and 2 Mexican turbos. I was going to buy the stuff individually from the U-build It, but for the cost of getting fewer crabs and hermits, it's actually cheaper to get the reef package. Is this too much for my tank? HELP, because I really want to order ASAP! Thanks for the help everyone!:D

erozfish

Thanks for the reply WAMP. Unfortunately, I just checked, and they are sold out of the cerith snails. I guess I'll just go ahead and order it without them. The one LFS has some on sale for the month of March for $2.49 a piece - a little more expesive, but oh well. Thanks.

landlocked

Erozfish-
I ordered that same package 10 days ago or so! I only have CC and 4 mollies-no LR or LS though. They arrived safely and have completely cleaned up my tank of brown algae.
I have had about 3 of the smaller crabs die and one snail shell suddenly apparently empty since it was taken over by a crab. I was surprised at how small some of the crabs were, but they sure motor around. The emerald crabs were a surprise and have been a riot. I also had added 4 large (golf ball sized) turbo snails from the local reef store.
I got a pair of tank-raised percula clowns Sat. that seem to be doing great now. :D
I am giving the clowns some frozen brine shrimp to eat and now maybe my husband will quit worrying that the cleanup crew doesn't have enough to eat!
HTH

erozfish

That's great LandLocked - I'm excited to get mine. I ordered last night, and am waiting for my email confirmation that they were shipped. Which method of acclimation did you use? I have plenty of extra shells, so I'm going to add those to the tank along with all the new little guys. I'm hoping the sepeant star was a good choice, I don't have any bottom dwelling fish, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted something to help with the sandbed. I'm going to add some more sand to the bed, but wanted to wait til the cleanup crew could cleanup what is on the CC now. I wanted to order some cerith snails, but it said they were sold out when I ordered, but now I see that it's only listing them in a lot of 20. I made a note on my order, so I'll see what I get! Looking forward to my order though - I've heard such great things about SWF so far!:D

landlocked

Well I'm not sure that I did it right, but followed the instructions that came with the shipment.
It seems basically like the same for live fish, but since I have a new tank and don't have a QT or separate tank to acclimate them in. Floated for 20 minutes, added a shotglass of tank water every 3-5 minutes until the volume was doubled then started dipping out water (and discarding of course) and repeat. I then actually picked up the bag, dumped all of water into the separate bowl through the net and took them straight into the tank. They came in four separate bags so it took a while.
I actually took a clothespin and clipped the bag to the top of the open lid to hold it up so that no water from the bag would contaminate my tank.
I swore that I wouldn't get so detail oriented about this tank, but it is turning out to be really pretty fun! I haven't named anybody yet, but may if they make it a couple of months.
I also have quit wanting a second dog, so that my princess (very territorial Australian Blue Heeler) can rule the house alone!
Look forward to your arrival, it will really help your tank!

erozfish

Hey, just got my email today, and my order should be here tomorrow around noon! I'm so excited - I'll just be getting home from work. Today is my birthday, so late b-day gift I guess! I'm doing a little water change, and cleanup on the tank tonight to get ready, and I'm going to add some play sand. Thanks again everyone for the input, and LandLocked - hope your "crew" is doing well!:D

minersj

I would personally use the acclimation procedure listed on this website. If you go to the U-Build it page, they have an acclimation procedure link, which provides information for the drip-method. You will definitely need to use the drip method for your serpent star, and I use it for all new additions!
It is also different than the procedure they include in the box, but I would still follow the drip method. It is extremely easy to follow and is a much better acclimation procedure for all invertebrates (and fish).
Sara

erozfish

Thanks for the tip Sara. I just got a new 2 gallon bucket tonight to use for my fish only. I'm going to do a water change tonight, so I'm going to keep that aerated, and use some of it with the tank water for acclimation. Thanks for the tip on the star, I've heard mixed opinions on them, so am hoping it'll be a nice addition!
Eric

erozfish

Hey, got my order today, and everything looks great. Did the acclimation procedure listed here, and did a little rearranging in the tank. As some have said before, the blue legs are tiny, and I think 2 died. One was dead and out of it's shell upon arrival, and I noticed another "corpse floating around a few hours after they were introduced to the tank. The emeralds are funny - one has disappeared into the rock work, but both got right to work as soon as they were introduced to the tank! I'm very pleased with my order, the way they were shipped, and I'll DEFINITELY be ordering from this site again!:D

erozfish

Well, to comment on an earlier post I had about blue legs and scarlets - maybe I should've listened more! As tiny as the little guys are that I received - they are thieves! I put so many extra shells in my tank (which were probably too small for the little guys), but I have seen them eating a few of the astreas already. Wish I wouldn't have gotten astreas actually - I tried putting most right on the glass, but some fell off, and because they can't flip themselves over, many are victim to the hermits. The ones on the glass have just climbed to the top of the tank, and just sit there - haven't seen much glass cleaning. OH well, just wanted to see if anyone else had this with theirs. Guess I need something else to clean up the glass.