Clear it up for me...

bhav_88

I have several opinions on this, but I need more. I have read that when establishing a tank with livesand, you add the clean up crew when the algae shows up and then leave the tank alone (no water changes) for about six months. Now... This seems weird to me... Do I do water changes or not?

jacksonpt

Yes and No. Water changes will help get rid of the phosphates which are causing the algae (presuiming the new water doesn't contain phosphates). So doing water changes will help get you past the algae bloom stage. However, by not doing water changes, you let your tank balance out... i.e. the tank converts the phosphates or critters eat the algae or whatever happens is a balanced tank. So it's really up to you.
Doing water changes will speed up the startup time, but won't let your tank really balance out.
Not doing water changes will cause very lengthy startup times (6mos or more), but will result in a very well balanced tank. This is better for the tank in the long run, but most people, including myself, don't have the patience to wait 6 months, maybe more.

bhav_88

Ahh... Good. That is what I thought... Fortunately, I do have the patience to wait. I personally find crabs and shrimp just as interesting as fish, and I don't care for coral, so everything balances out...