clear jellyfish like ooze growing on my coralized starfish

iidylii

Hi everyone I am new to the website here so thanks in advance for the great website :)....anyways I am also brand new to the whole saltwater thing as well...So about a week ago I started up a 55 gal tank...there is currently only live sand, a rock from Hawaii and a coralized starfish from hawaii in it because I am waiting on live rock and then I will start adding fish...

anyways the first day I had the star in there it was fine then the second day this orange/brown color formed at the base of the star in the sand...about 8 hours later it was gone...so here I am 3 days later and this clear ooze has taken on the shape of the star...its been about a day now since its been on there and it doesn't seem to be growing or disappearing so I am wondering if any of you might know what this is and if I should just take out this star? thanks again everyone

dmanatee

I think pictures will help us on this one. Also what do you mean by coralized starfish, was it a dead starfish skeleton, also what are the parameters in your tank right now?

iidylii

and yes I mean it is a dead star fish...and like I said I am brand new to saltwater so im not sure what you mean by the parameters?

dmanatee

Ah OK. So by parameters we mean:
ph, salinity,ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, temperature. "things that make up what in your water." You find these things out by testing your water with a water test kit (preferably lab grade), hydrometer/refractometer.

I know one of our fabulous moderators or pro's will be on here soon. But it is recommended that you pick up/download a book on saltwater aquarium keeping .

Also go to the stickys in the beginners section to help you on your journey

Ps. that red stuff my be cyano bacteria, but it also might be harmless diatoms, which is an indication that your tank is "possibly" starting to cycle. .

iidylii

Thanks a bunch Dmanatee...Yeah my brother also has a tank up and running and his is doing well so I try to also get pointers from him but he lives out a few hours away...anyways...

I have a hydrometer and its readings are about 30 ppt and 1.022 and my temperature is about 75...and I do have a test kit on the way...

and im not sure what red stuff you mean...maybe you are talking about that orange/brown color that was at the base of the starfish the first day I put it in there? but like I said that cleared up about 8 hours later...what im saying is that clear slime/ooze that you can see above the starfish that kind of takes the shape of the star?

again thanks for you help and I think im gonna like this website :)