clen up crew???????

asdf

:eek: what is a clean up crew is it some kind of fish or something. ALso doese salt water make the room I will have it in smell and I am moving so is there any ideas on how i can move them some were 5 hours away with out killing my soon to be fish.

smshep01

A clean up crew consists of snails, crabs, and shrimp. Mostly in the invertabrate family. These guys will take care of algae, excess food, detris, etc. in your tank. They are a load of fun to watch. I get more of a kick watching my crabs and shrimp move around than I do the fish lol.
Salt water will not make the room smell unless you don't change the water in intervals or have a good filtration system. When you do water changes, you will only do a 25% water change every week or so. There is big debate how often or if you should even do water changes in this forum, so I will just tell you to use good judgement. I personally do a 25% weekly. Also, keep your filters cleaned out weekly, this will also help.
I will be honest with you, if you haven't already started the tank up, I would personally wait until you moved before you started the tank up. You can transport all of your fish, cleanup crew etc in plastic bags with the water from your tank. I would really look into how to do moves and what the pros recommend as far as helping the fish out in the move. I know that when fish, inverts, and corals are sent, they are filled with oxygen rich water. I have read that the pros recommend that you do not feed them for a couple days prior to the move. Your LR can go in 5 gal buckets (new not used for paint, etc) with lids. I just did a move a few months ago, wasn't as far but all of my critters stayed alive. The tank should be the last thing to pack up and the 1st thing to unpack when you get to your new place. You will also have to acclimate your critters before getting them back into the tank as well. I am sure there are plenty of threads in here on how to acclimate your tank and fish once you moved. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Sheppie

asdf

Thanks sheppie that info really helped and I agree on waiting until I move and it will probaly take a while for me to save up to get all the stuff I need any ways because its very expensive and you cant get 2000 very fast on a weekely allowance but I will get there and Im determined to start this hobby and i will probaly get a 55g tank for my birthday next month.
Thanks again!!!!