Click.. Click.. Captured!

wocka

here is my journey today:
ive been hearing clicking noises and havent been paying much attention to them untill today when i found a hermit crab ripped out from its shell!
this was the last straw, so i take rocks out and freshwater dip, and finally i caught the little

[hr]
that preyed on my .25$ hermit crab! it was a pistol shrimp. i believe its a Carribean shrimp with one huge claw and a small one.
good news : i didnt flush him, my friend wants him so im keeping him in a nylon bag with a small piece of live rock.

wocka

im sure it wasnt a molt, i want the pistol out anyway, pretend a hermit was a human body it looked like this ; the torso being ripped from the legs.. im pretty sure it was him

wocka

the blue legs are all the same size. well anywho i got this pistol shrimp out, how do i know if i have a mantis in my tank? my LWB randomly disspeared, and my shrimp got killed and was being pulls under a rock where i found the pistol

benter

Are pistol shrimp aggressive ?? I have 2 of them in my reef tank , and have recently lost a canary blenny..any chance that the bigger one could be responsible...never found even a bone!!!

wocka

same thing happen to mine, i had a lawnmower blenny and all of a sudden next morning its no where to be found, not even 1 fish scale on the floor! i think if there hungry enough they will kill it. i took mine out

traib

I don't think pistol shrimp are the cause of your problems. However, they will eat dead fish, crabs, etc. Not a bad idea to feed them once in a while too. I feed mine every couple of days or if they come out of thier burrows at feeding time.

wocka

well the thing was, i thought i had a mantis, so i dipped my rocks in freshwater and found the pistol. i dont want him in my tank, im missing a blenny, and ive found a dead cleaner shrimp being pulled under a rock where i found it. also found a hermit crab ripped apart with no shell.. so i dont kno if i have a mantis and a pistol or just a pistol. i havent see a mantis in my tank before but i got this pistol bugger out!