Clicking noises?!

mythrenody

I was laying in bed not too long ago and heard some clicking noises coming from my tank. I got up and inspected the tank,didnt see anything wrong with it and didnt hear the clicking noises either. And it stops when i get near the tank. I know for sure i dont have a mantis shrimp in my tank 'cause i havent bought any LR or anything that could have hitch hikers. I have 3 peppermint shrimp,could they be making the noises? I'm worried the tank is gonna leak or something. Thanks guys!

reefiness

well its either mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp. if you have purchased any corals you could have had a manti come in ttrough that, i had one come in a piece of coral from the LFS. I just recently caught it before it could cause any damage

wesa

Would you share with me how you caught the manti? I have a predator that stumps me good. I've had people say it couldn't be a manti because there is no clicking noise but I'm always interested in a good trap. My lawnmower blenny is missing so am thinking the predator got her in the last couple days. Thanks.

reefiness

well it wasnt trap, although i triedtraps none of them werked the way i did it was i was looking a my tank one day and i see some sand shoot out of a hole in the LR so without even thinking i ripped the rock out of the tank and dipped it into a freshwater tank beside me and out it popped, about 1 1/2 inch mantis shrimp. :jumping:

dingo0722

I hear a clicking/cracking sound at night also. Never found the cause of it, nor have I seen any evidence of damage. What do mantis shrimp look like

g.man

Your little clicking problem could also be a rock crab. I have one in a pico reef and he dose that all the time. Its really neat.