Clipperton Angel - Clarion Angel

golfish

Just about every wholesaler in So Cal was caught with Clarion Angel's last month. They received huge fines from the dept of fish N game (I think it was Fish n Game) From what I've heard these fish can only be collected every 5 years (I'm not sure if its 5 years)..This isn't one of those years. You might want to stay away from that fish.
Hec, you might want to delete this thread:)

brooklyn johnny

I posted on your thread in the fish forum regading the clipperton angels... golfish covered the clarions, although I still see them for sale on some sites... not sure what the deal is there but they're going for just $1500...

golfish

Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny
I posted on your thread in the fish forum regading the clipperton angels... golfish covered the clarions, although I still see them for sale on some sites... not sure what the deal is there but they're going for just $1500...

I have a few buddies who were able to get em real cheap here in So Cal. One guy told me he got a call from a wholesaler who had 6 or 8 of them for 20.00 a pop.. None of us bit on that one. You never know about the Dept of fish n Game. Even they like to setup stings.

brooklyn johnny

Did all of this recent wave turn out to be illegally collected or something? All of the major sites had them as you know, and some still have them up? What's the deal?... Sorry... I'm an East Coaster...:D

golfish

Did all of this recent wave turn out to be illegally collected

BINGO....like I said above, these fish can only be collected every few years. My guess is that there is some kind of tracking done on the legally caught fish, hence the huge cost (just a guess on the tracking) I know the wholesalers that got tagged had illegally collected fish.
These fish are Mexico's "state fish" ..something like that

.. ever see Clippertons at the wholesalers out there?

I'm not into larget angles so if I did I probably passed em right up.

Yeah I knew about those Clarion Angels that got repossed a little while ago, they did not have the permits. Clarion is one of the Revillagigedo Islands which have been closed down to fishing due to the longliners. But I am going to Clipperton next year and am working on getting the permits to collect the fish.

brooklyn johnny

Yeah I remember seeing the Clarions when I got in the hobby in middle school 15 years ago... they went for what was then an ungodly sum (around $400) but the funny thing was that Red Sea things were more expensive, with asfurs going for around $700... with collecting and exporting being refined now high prices are going to just the rare and/or isolated. It's only a matter of time (a long time) before these guys will be bred in captivity and the price comes down as they are now doing with C. interruptus in Hawaii... anyway keep us updated on your travel...