Closed loop ideas

aquaman

[hr]
Ok, so I have been doing research on closed loop systems for aquariums and have a few ideas, but before I go ahead and spend money on it I would like some input. I have an extra pump rated at 1200gph I want to use and all the PVC and hose I need, but what I want to do is get flow behind the rockwork at the back, lower side of the tank. (a 225 gal with a 75 gal sump.) I do not want to have wires running in or to spend a fortune on a wireless (Magnetic) power head. I do not mind running the dark grey PVC or the black flex tube in as the background is black and will help hide this.
What I am looking for is some ideas or designs to make this happen. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cranberry

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to post a pic.... forgot where I was. Pics don't work easily enough for me here.
*whistles and walks away hoping no one saw her mess of a post*

S

saxman

I'm with Renee...it's hard when you can't post pix...I know it can be done, but definitely not easily. It's also a PITA trying to cut/paste here as it has to be done using key strokes instead of with the mouse. Definitely affects and limits my participation here because it's hard enuff concentrating on the subject matter without d!cking with the site's lack of user friendliness...(any admins listening?).
To the OP:
However, what I'd do is run 3 or 4 returns across the back wall of the tank about 6" from the bottom. Use ball valves so you can customize the amount of flow from each input. If you run with 4 returns, you may want to split the return and run 2 SCWD's to alternate the flow. Alternatively, you can run 1 SCWD on the two "outboard" returns, and leave the center return running constantly.
For the CL intake, I use 1" spa strainer screens, they work well, and are flat, so they don't show against a black back. If you can't find the spa strainer, you can use a regular B/H strainer (the conical ones). I also sometimes use these for multi-directional returns if I don't want a flare or other nozzle-type return.
HTH

aquaman

I am just looking for a way to get a little water flow behind the rocks. Does anyone know what the name of the power heads are called that stick to the glass with the power source on the outside and the head in the inside of the tank?

aquaman

how are they better, or are they, than another powerhead? I like the idea of not having a wire running down, but not for an extra $200.

gemmy

[list type=decimal]
[*]
You don't have the wire in the tank (no need to worry about a critter chowing down on the wire)
[*]
Variable modes (including nutrient transport mode, night mode, feed mode and the list goes on)
[*]
One of the safest
[*]
Uses less electricity
Ability to sync multiple units to "talk" to each other
Option for battery backup
Adjustable flow rate
[/list type=decimal]

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/384485/closed-loop-ideas#post_3369212
[list type=decimal]
[*]
You don't have the wire in the tank (no need to worry about a critter chowing down on the wire)
[*]
Variable modes (including nutrient transport mode, night mode, feed mode and the list goes on)
[*]
One of the safest
[*]
Uses less electricity
Ability to sync multiple units to "talk" to each other
Option for battery backup
Adjustable flow rate
[/list type=decimal]
Cons: They are known to cause alot of vibration and be quite noisy (not all have had this problem). Magnet has been known to not hold and wet side falls to the bottom of the tank. Have been known to cause crazing on acrylic tanks due to the heat generated from the motor on the dry side and cause catastrophy. Customer service and willingness to stand behind their product and help solve issues is not the greatest from what I hear. For the same price you can go with Tunze who has been around for a long time, and products are proven over long term to be reliable and and well respected in the hobby as well as do all of the same things...accept for the cord being outside of the tank.

aquaman

I am leaning back to the closed loop idea, due to money issues. But of course that means a pipe running down behind the rock as I am not draining it to drill a couple holes. Well there is no hurry, I have not started stocking it yet, it just has the content of my old 29 gal in it. I would love the vortech, but i will need to come up with a more cost effective solution.

acrylic51

CL and Vortechs are totally 2 different subjects.....CL is exactly what it states water run continously in a CL......Vortechs IMHO for the money they are asking aren't reliable enough with their wet end issues........If I'm going to spend that kind of cash; why would I want or fathom keeping a spare backup part???? If you want reliablility in that spectrum TUNZE.......
As far as CL Saxman and Cranberry are on the right path.....The only real question I have to you is you had mentioned your spare/extra pump. What is the suction side size of the pump? You want to flood the suction side with as much water as possilbe. Meaning if the pump input is 1" make your suction hole/drain to the pump bigger. Meaning I'd go 1 1/2". The theory on head pressure is negated with a CL system as well. As mentioned earlier you can use valves to regulate flow through your outputs as well.
As mentioned above the SCWD are an option, WavySeas are another alternative. Actuated Ball Valves are another alternative; but rather pricey, and probably one of my favorties is the OceansMotions device which can be added and your flow would alternate depending on drum choice, and get you the flow randomly.....Check out the components mentioned and it'll give you a starting point....HTH!!!!!

aquaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/384485/closed-loop-ideas#post_3369698
CL and Vortechs are totally 2 different subjects.....
First I appreciate your input, just to be up front.
But the idea behind the powerhear, no matter the kind, or the closed loop system FOR ME is the same. As stated in the OP it is to get some flow behind the rock work to keep uneaten food and other crap from accumulating there. I still have not done anything because I am sure there is a good easy solution, I just have not thought of it yet.

2quills

If you're not apposed to runninng some pipe or tube up and over the back then that sounds like it might be your best bet to keep cost down while still getting what you need. You could perhaps run an intake tube down one side of the tank and your output on the other with maybe a long spray bar that runs horizantally down the back side of the tank maybe about 4" above the bottom. Or if not a spray bar you could install a series of Tees and add some 45 degree couplings on them with caps and drill some holes in the caps. You could leave them unglued and this would allow you to turn and aim some directional flow in different areas. Just some thoughts.