closed loop intake question

guppie

I am in the beginning stage of designing a new tank, it will have a conner overflow with a durso standpipe, what I need to know is if anyone has put their intake for their closed loop in the back wall of the tank in the overflow, I am trying not to use two standpipes in the same overflow, I know that it can be done, but that is not what I am look for. I am worried about the overflow draining too fast, also if it can be done were did you put it. Thanks for the info in advance

golfish

technically, that wouldn't be a closed loop.. I'd drill a hole in the back of the tank no less then 6" from the top for a bulkhead to feed your CL...
You COULD TRY to do it your way but your going to have to make the overflow HUGE. Lets say your corner overflow is 8"x8"...that gives 16" of overflow area, you might be able to get 1500 gph over it, maybe a little more. If you did a center overflow that was 8"x8" that would give you 3 sides and 24" of overflow area...
How big is the tank?
How much flow are you looking for from the sump return and CL?

acrylic51

Yeah have to agree it wouldn't really be a closed loop that way if your draining the water into the overflow and sucking it out to your CL pump

squidd

Why do you say it's technically not a closed loop...?
Your sucking "X" amount of water out and pumping "X" amount of water back in...
What difference does it make if the intake is "inside the box" or 6" outside of it...(other than the linear inches issue, which is understandable/overcomeable)

acrylic51

If your pulling water from your overflow box it wouldn't be a self contained loop would it???? By CL terms Golfish would be correct

guppie

Thanks for the feedback, that is what I was thinking, the tank is going to be a 60gal, so I am not looking for a large overflow, so I will just have the tank drill in the back for the CL. I will be useing mag 9.5 for both the return for the sump and cl. Thanks again

squidd

Seems to me the water inside the box (which is still inside the tank) is the same as the water in the main tank...
The box is just a bafle the water goes "over"...If the water goes "around" a rock to get to the intake...or "thru" a screen to get to the intake...does that mean it's not a closed loop..?
"Technically" as soon as the water returns to an open "tank" it's not in a self contained loop...
So maybe there is no such thing as a closed loop, in aquaria..?

golfish

Squidd, who gives a rats behind
..The real question is can the overflow handle it?
guppie,
IME, your making the right choice.

squidd

Originally Posted by golfish
Squidd, who gives a rats behind
Yeah I know..that's what I said...'cept I said it "nicer"...
What difference does it make if the intake is "inside the box" or 6" outside of it...(other than the linear inches issue, which is understandable/overcomeable)

golfish

Originally Posted by Squidd
Your sucking "X" amount of water out and pumping "X" amount of water back in...
So going with your thinking here we can call a sump and return pump a CL...or not a CL.
I'll stick with my first post about the overflow.
technically, that wouldn't be a closed loop

squidd

BTW...an overflow doesn't "suck" water out it drains, and that's not till it get's to the stand pipe...The rest is just "tank water"...
Comparison, not valid...

salty cheese

Semantics: By definition a closed loop is an independent water circulation system but by utilizing the overflow for the duel purpose drainage and closed loop… Blah Blah Blah

golfish

Squidd, going with your logic, using the overflow and sump is a CL........
But lets just stop for one second and say there is no such thing as a CL.. And we're going to use the overflow as mentioned....How big do you think that overflows going to have to be to get 1500 gph, 3000 gph, or 6000 gph?
BTW, a CL will "suck" the water out of an overflow, not drain.

golfish

What difference does it make if the intake is "inside the box" or 6" outside of it

This is the difference

(other than the linear inches issue, which is understandable/overcomeable)
Overcomeable by make the overflow box about 2-3-4x bigger then needed. Makes no sense when you can just drill a hole in the tank.

golfish

Squiddy,
For the folks back home lets bring this one back up..I'm all for your idea but I look at it like this. The overflow is a box within a box. So your "sucking" from one box to another. Just like a sump, your sucking from one box to another. The six inches you speak of is the difference. Your intake is in a separate box and this pretty much tells me it not a closed loop. The 6" bulkhead on the back of the tank is in the same box its sucking from and retuning too.
So, YOU can say its all a CL or there's no such thing as a CL...
I'll say different.
:notsure:
:happyfish

squidd

I'm all cool with this Mr. Golfish...I know we'll disagree on things from time to time...
Point being there really is more than one "right" way to set these systems up, and as neither of us has written the "book" on definitions I guess we can look at things differently...
I see a closed loop from the "mechanical" end...ie: the intake>line>pump>line>output with no "open" chamber...hence not a sump system.
But that's just the way "I" see it..
Anyhoo...as long as we're agreeing to disagree.."Peacefully"...I would like to point out that in the example above...I'm running 1500gph over Nine (9) "Linear inchs"....No bubbles, No turbulance, No Noise...Put that in your calculator and watch it smoke...

(other than the linear inches issue, which is understandable/overcomeable)