closed loop pump size?

lucin

Getting ready to set up a 265 what would be a good pump to us for the closed loop and how gph should it be and a good pump for the return and how many gph..

snakeblitz33

What type of tank are you setting up? Is it going to be a fish only tank, a softie tank or maybe even a sps tank? What internal flow are you aiming for?
We need a little more information.

snakeblitz33

With that being said, I am going to be using a reeflo Dart pump (3800gph) as a return pump and a Reeflo Hammerhead (5800gph) on my closed loop system for my 240 gallon sps dominated reef tank. Some people say that I am a little on the low side.
For a 265 gallon, I would suggest at least a reeflo dart for the return pump and at least another reeflo dart for the closed loop system. Personally, I would actually go a little higher then that, even for a fish only tank.

lucin

Its going to be a softie tank would a dart pump be big enough for the closed loop or should it be bigger like a dolphin Amp Master 5600/4700 just to be on the safe side....

snakeblitz33

In my opinion a dart would be fine, if you had a nice sized return pump. If you want to be on the safe side, I suggest a Reeflo Barracuda. I don't think they are as expensive.

saltn00b

i run a dart on my 150, with 8 3/4" openings on a manifold. it makes a gentle broad flow.
for a 265 maybe run 2 different loops with 2 darts timed..., or throw a big pump like marlin on there.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2881790
i run a dart on my 150, with 8 3/4" openings on a manifold. it makes a gentle broad flow.
for a 265 maybe run 2 different loops with 2 darts timed..., or throw a big pump like marlin on there.
yeah - agreed.