cloudy glass

ryanbooton

I recently bought a 125 gallon aquarium. The guy had snakes on one side and water and things on the other. NO scratches in the glass at all. But i scrubbed the calcium off the glass and it was still cloudy. I figured when i filled it, the cloudyness would go away. Not so! Its gotta go. I cannot scrape it off or wipe it off. I have live rock cycling it right now and a 50% water change is comein up. Can i polish out the stains or can someone give me a good cleaner to take it off. Or just what the cloudyness is???Help!

S

sebae0

more than likely the cloudiness is hard water deposits left behind from the evaporating water. very hard to remove in my experience. the only thing that worked for me was soaking in clr(calcium lime remover. but you have your tank going so thats out of the question. im surprised the tank is in that good of shape ive never heard of taking a reptile cage and converting it, always heard that the ammonia from say a snakes urine eats away at the seals. just what i heard no proof though.

ryanbooton

Im sure he had some sand on the snake side. But no leaks. Thinkin mabe some clr on a rag. I read that vinegar and water works too. DONT know what will happen if these get in the water though. Any more suggestions??

gregzbobo

If you go the vinegar route, use cider vinegar, the distilled white stuff is already diluted to 5% with water and you'd have to let whatever it is soak in it for quite some time before any stains start to go away. Don't let any of it get INSIDE the tank, your water will not like you for it (ph will drop). If you have the guts and CLR or the vinegar doesn't work on the outside, try some muriatic acid. Be EXTRA careful with this stuff though. Its about as close to battery acid as you can get without it being battery acid.

ryanbooton

The stains are on the inside of the glass. Ill try the vinegar. What about some kinda polish?? Like rubbing compound?

gregzbobo

If there is water and life in the tank, don't use vinegar, and definitely not rubbing compound, that will scratch the glass.

killyah

CLR should be enuff to get that stuff out!! you will have to remove everything out of the tank tho.. put CLR in a soft rag and rub. if that does not work.. fill tank up with 50% CLR and 50% water up to where the cloudyness is, let soak for bit (half hour to an hour) then rinse good.. really good!!! should do the job. JMO good luck!