cloudy water

bolt696

Hi, My 125 in the past 48 hours has become cloudy. Would anyone have any suggestions why?
My filters are clean FYI
thanks

bolt696

Originally Posted by baloo6969
what's your alk and PH? as with a pool, 90% of the time it's these.
Let me do a quick test and report back.

bolt696

ok my PH is 8.0 and Alk is reading normal range 1.7 ish

larryndana

i'd also add cal to this list of testing. have you buffered with anything new, you may have what is called precipitation.

bolt696

Originally Posted by larryndana
1.7 what? meq/l?
says milli equivalents per liter on the test card

bolt696

i'd also add cal to this list of testing. have you buffered with anything new, you may have what is called precipitation.
Cal is 470 it has always been high.
No new chemicals in the past 48 hours.

larryndana

yeah, your alk is way low.
what kind of salt do you use, also do you buffer with anything.
you need to get some superbuffer-dkh, by kent marine to raise your alk.
having your alk that low may have caused the cloudy water, along with a slightly high cal. someone that knows better water chemistry may be able to answer if its from this or not.
also where do you get your water from? ro, rodi, distilled?

bolt696

yeah, your alk is way low.
what kind of salt do you use, also do you buffer with anything.
you need to get some superbuffer-dkh, by kent marine to raise your alk.
having your alk that low may have caused the cloudy water, along with a slightly high cal. someone that knows better water chemistry may be able to answer if its from this or not.
also where do you get your water from? ro, rodi, distilled?
water is ro/do my tds is reading like 2 so thats ok.
salt is crystal reef
I have kent pro buff dkh and kent tech cb part A.
not sure if they are the same or what they do. I was told I need them but the bottles read almost the same thing. Do you know?
thanks for the help

larryndana

kent tech cb part A, you know there is a part A and a part B. not sure why you wouldn't use A and the B. I haven't used them at all.
Cal, alk, and ph all work together. i have limited knowledge on this, but i'll say what i know and understand.
when Cal is high....your alk will be low. and it work backwards too. when your alk is high....your cal will be low. this all works together to balance your ph. you can go to the Archives & Faqs forum here and look for info on this. there are a few good threads on this. remember though this may not be your cloudy water problem, but i think it may be it. and your alk is really to low.
from mod lion_crazz from another thread.
pH - 8.2-8.4
kH - 8-12 dkH, OR 143-214 ppm OR 2.86 - 4.29 meq/l (depending on what your kit reads in)
calcium - 400-450 ppm
magnesium - 1200-1250 ppm
as you can see 1.7 is low....you should shoot for 2.86 to 4.29. having a low alk will push your cal high and cause it to precipitate.

bolt696

kent tech cb part A, you know there is a part A and a part B. not sure why you wouldn't use A and the B. I haven't used them at all.
Cal, alk, and ph all work together. i have limited knowledge on this, but i'll say what i know and understand.
when Cal is high....your alk will be low. and it work backwards too. when your alk is high....your cal will be low. this all works together to balance your ph. you can go to the Archives & Faqs forum here and look for info on this. there are a few good threads on this. remember though this may not be your cloudy water problem, but i think it may be it. and your alk is really to low.
from mod lion_crazz from another thread.
pH - 8.2-8.4
kH - 8-12 dkH, OR 143-214 ppm OR 2.86 - 4.29 meq/l (depending on what your kit reads in)
calcium - 400-450 ppm
magnesium - 1200-1250 ppm
as you can see 1.7 is low....you should shoot for 2.86 to 4.29. having a low alk will push your cal high and cause it to precipitate.
makes sense. I just ordered part B. It is suppose to balance everything out when used together. I am going to work on slowly bringing the Alk up over the next few days and see if that is the problem.
thanks....