clown and anemonie behavior

dshurett

Well i finally broke down and got me a couple clowns and an anemonie on the chances that they might like each other. Well when i first got home the anemonie just sorta sulked in the corner, which was what i expected. The clowns just sorta hung out together...frolicking a bit but they seemed ok. To my surprise when I woke up the next morning, the larger of the clowns had taken up residence in the anemonie (yay). The only problem now is that the clown has become very teritorial and will not let the other clown come near that portion of the tank. Should I just get another anemonie for the other clown or just give them some more time to settle down. Been 3 days since introduction of the anemonie now...same behavior.
Also the anemonie seems almost twice as big as it did in the store. It is really big and spread out now. Does that mean anything. What is the recommended feeding schedule for this thing? I was told once a week. How much should i feed it when i do?

physcoben

hello my names ben and i've asked the same question about feeding, and i was told by an experienced person to feed it about every other day, as for what and how much, something meaty, like crill, or they sell a package w/ fish and shrimp meat, and only give him about the amount of meat the would be the volume of a pennie. i have a question for you, what kind of clowns are they and what kind of anemone is it
:p

dshurett

They are sebae clowns and a green tipped anemonie. Not sure if there is a more exact name of the anemonie but lemee see if i can grab a picture.

capperdoo

it really matters what kind of clowns you have. are they mated pairs? some clowns dont like to be in pairs or wont go in an anemone.
if its a carpet and fairly good size. buy some frozen peeled shrimp at the grocery store and cut in half if small anemone/ whole if large and feed 2 to 3 times a week

concon

Clown fish becomes territorial is natural and there is nothing we can do about this nature. I have shared the same experience twice. Right now, I have two per clown killing each other for the anemones. I have to remove one to avoid casaulty. Don't give up hope yet because there are ways to avoid the aggressiveness. 1) Buy tank raised clowns. They rarely fight or show aggression. However, they might not recognize your anemones in the tank at all. 2) If you really love seeing clown and anemones, try to buy a larger and one smallest size. Clown fish start out as male and change --- when they grow large to become female. If you have one large and one small clown in the tank, the aggressiveness might be reduced. I am going to try the second approach to see if it works. Good luck. ;)