clown bully

sidos

I have 2 ocellaris clowns, i got them about 3 weeks ago. for the first week they were fine after that one started bullying the other, always chasing it behind the rocks. they are the only 2 fish in the tank. is this normal behavior or do i need to intervene somehow?

K

kalied20

With two clowns one will try to dominate the other. If they are both the same size it might take a while for them to pair. I got two False Perc's and they fought for about three weeks. They are best buddies now.

sidos

after a couple weeks of getting along great, the bigger clown has started attacking the smaller one again the last two days or so. the smaller one has lost alot of color and didn't eat when i put some food in front of it.

dbgator1

If you put em in at the same time they should get along. i got a true perc and then added one 2 weeks or so later the one in the tank terrorized the other i had to take him out and i took him back to the LFS. The fish pretty much swam into the net when i got him out it was my easiest catch ever. i think if they get there mind set that they don't like the fish it is not a good sign.

sidos

they were getting along great for the last 2 weeks but the bigger one started chasing the little one again a couple days ago and it died yesterday.

dbgator1

Sorry to hear that it is tough. They have to be a pair when you get em or it usually will not work. My friends had 4 of the same clowns in a 65 gallon but two did eventually overtake the others. Oscellaris i didn't think were that aggresive but i have never had one. Good luck with em in the future.