Clown Experts- ID Please!!!

sheracr123

These were sold to me as black percs. But IMO their bodies look more like a sebae or clarkii. But when I look at their tails they have more white on them than the sebaes and clarkiis. I did see a pic on the net that showed juv black percs and they sorta looked like mine but just a little. I am so confused!!!!

S

slofish

definitely looks like a clarkii. I got a black perc. it has the same body type and striping as my orange.

sheracr123

Well I have found 2 pics on the net. Both say True Black Perc. The first looks like mine. It also said from AFRICA? The second does look like a Perc. This is why I am confused.

S

slofish

the "first pic" is definitely either a sebae or clarkii. It almost looks like a clarkii since it has the third stripe near the tail. Its small, but looks like it might be there.

j-cal

imo they are certainly NOT clarkii. clarkii have a taller body shape and not quite as long typically usualy they resemble a square whereas the fish u have are longer and shorter resembling a rectangle.
Its def not a saddleback either. I am not sure what a true sebae looks like, but......
I am going against the flow: looks like black perculas to me. Perculas lose that "cutsy" bodt shape once they get to be about an inch long and actually have the shape of the fish that you have. I am fairly certain they are black percs. (occelaris)
IMO those its FOR SURE not a clarkii

swaquarim

I have seen these fish for sale in many of my local pet shops.They all list them as black percs but I really dont think they truely are black percs.

sheracr123

LOL
Where did you get that feather duster ?
This is/was my QT. Just a background taped on the back!!!
J-Cal
I think I am with you and it's "some sort of perc". Maybe there are diffrent ones from diffrent regions. The wide stripe on the tail is whats confusing. My orange and black true perc has wide stripe on his tail also.
Guess I'm just doomed for many hours of research!!! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the opinions!!!
Mendee

sheracr123

Ok... I just found this pic. The juv looks like mine but I haven't noticed the top fin near the head. (Sorry, don't know what its called)
I'm sticking with a black perc. Guess we'll see in about 6 months!!!
Mendee

g13

I purchased one before just like that and it was named a True black percula even though I beg to differ. Some sites list them as true black perculas but I found one site that listed them as saddleback clowns but from a different part of the ocean that's why they don't look like the ones that are being sold on this site. If you look at the body and the way they swim, it is exactly like a saddleback.

sheracr123

I am thinking your right. I did a search today and saw so many, I can't remember what and where I saw. :rolleyes:
But the thing that stood out to me as a saddleback is the way the white frames their top fin and tail edges. I think this one is confusing because the middle stripe goes all the way around.
OMG... I was searching the net while typing and found this!!!
MY GUYS!!!
EDIT

Pair
Guess ID solved!!!