Clown fish behaviour

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilioli http:///forum/thread/381502/clown-fish-behaviour#post_3324399
oh wow, so u'll be receiving it in the mail....? whats the life expectancy of livestock like that when they're shipped in a box for more than 24 hours?? is it certain species like goby's that do better?
Yup. This store is very good about shipping as well as a few other major sites. When it comes to fish, there is only 3 websites that I will order from, this site being at the top of the list. If shipped properly the fish is fine, how do you think your LFS gets them? SWF actually has a warranty of 2 weeks with their fish which is a little reassurance as well.

mind83

Update: I added another clown. I don't know the exact breed of clown but they both have the same exact stripping. One just happens to be more red than orange. They are getting along great after two days. They swim together all the time. Since I added the new Clown the first one seems to be doing better. I would show a picture but don't have permission.

wilioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind83 http:///forum/thread/381502/clown-fish-behaviour/20#post_3324456
Update: I added another clown. I don't know the exact breed of clown but they both have the same exact stripping. One just happens to be more red than orange. They are getting along great after two days. They swim together all the time. Since I added the new Clown the first one seems to be doing better. I would show a picture but don't have permission.
permission?
awesome -- good to hear that they're doin good! And its a 55 gallon right? what are you thinking of getting next?
Keep posting here for whatever questions... Its real annoying to not be able to start threads.. it took me a couple weeks before it 'magically' got fixed... so in the mean time, just post wherever u want.. lol
Ive been watching my clowns do some crazy things where i always think they're bout to die, but haven't.. so I may be able to help you out on some stuff -- if not, there's a great group of people here who definitely will

mind83

I can't figure out the add picture thing. I wasn't allowed to add attachment, but I saw the add picture thing. I tried it two ways to get the pic loaded on here but didn't work. Any way here is a link if you're interested: 7331_ab1d_350.jpeg
I think I am at my max with fish right now. I am thinking of starting to put some color in the tank next with mushrooms and stuff like that. Since I added the Clown everyone in the tank seems to be more happy.

wilioli

wow didnt' even know the yellow kind existed! lol.. what kinda fish do you have? i thought those were the first fish you got...?

mind83

It's more of a light orange than a yellow. The other clown is more of a dark orange / red. They aren't the first fish I put in the tank. I've had some trial and error with this tank since I'm new to this whole thing. My girlfriends brother set it up for me and said he was going to help out but didn't. So I've had some fish die on my watch. Now I feel I'm finally where I should be.
My list of fish:
2 Clowns
PJ Cardinal
Orange tail damsel
Firefish Goby
Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Before everyone yells at me for having the tangs in a 55 I just found out that it's not a good idea. However they both are very small, the hippo is a baby. I plan to remove them when they look like they are getting to big for the tank.

wilioli

lol, yea it seems like every hobbyist learns that rule first -- no tangs for you! lol
sweet, nice list -- how are the clowns doin? mine are buggin out! the 'alpha' is really callin the shots... and the little one just shivers and has seizures all over the alpha -- 'apologizing'.. lol

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind83 http:///forum/thread/381502/clown-fish-behaviour/20#post_3324700
Before everyone yells at me for having the tangs in a 55 I just found out that it's not a good idea. However they both are very small, the hippo is a baby. I plan to remove them when they look like they are getting to big for the tank.
We all make mistakes in the beginning of the hobby.
That being said, waiting until the tangs get too big before removing them from a 55G tank, is a disaster waiting to happen. Tangs, especially a Yellow Tang, get very aggressive in smaller tanks. Even as they're growing, they require a lot of swimming room and set up larger territories. It would be in your best interest to return the tang to the store now, before they get any larger and get aggressive. I've seen people who claim to successfully keep Yellow Tangs in 55G and every time I ask for a picture, the tang is discolored from stress and 90% of the time it's malnourished. Just because it is alive, doesn't mean it's a success, keep this in mind. A healthy Zebrosoma tang such as a Yellow tang will grow quickly as well, so you may have less time than you think you do to find a new home for him.
Small Hippo Tangs on the other hand, especially those under 3", have a very low survival rate. To counteract the survival rate of these small fish, it's best if they go in smaller systems until they reach 3 1/2", then they must be moved, or again, aggression and malnourishment will take over. I have kept 1" tangs in my 14G and 20G reefs from time to time to fatten them up and then sell them to local hobbyists that don't want the work that many "baby" hippos need. This might be a good route for you to go, get the hippo healthy, keep pictures to prove that you've had it since it was very young, proving that it is fully adapted to tank life, and then sell it to a local hobbyist.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilioli http:///forum/thread/381502/clown-fish-behaviour/20#post_3325255
lol, yea it seems like every hobbyist learns that rule first -- no tangs for you! lol
sweet, nice list -- how are the clowns doin? mine are buggin out! the 'alpha' is really callin the shots... and the little one just shivers and has seizures all over the alpha -- 'apologizing'.. lol
The shivering that you see going on is the less dominant (male) submitting and courting the domininant female.

wilioli

so the smaller clown would do the 'seizure dance' around the bigger one.... showing its submission... today, i see the bigger one doing that to the smaller one, and the smaller one acting 'boss'... are they switching genders again!?!? or is the alpha just givin the smaller one a break today cause its a special occasion or something ?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilioli http:///forum/thread/381502/clown-fish-behaviour/20#post_3328104
so the smaller clown would do the 'seizure dance' around the bigger one.... showing its submission... today, i see the bigger one doing that to the smaller one, and the smaller one acting 'boss'... are they switching genders again!?!? or is the alpha just givin the smaller one a break today cause its a special occasion or something ?
They're courting one another. Normally you swill see the smaller of the two do this, but the larger will occasionally do this as well. My female does it more right before they spawn.