Clown fish breathing fast with tattered fins

Today when the aquarium actinics came on i couldn't find one of my clown fish. I searched around everwhere but couldn't find him. After the white lights came on he finally appeared from where ever he was but he was breathing really fast. Today when I got home from work he was swimming around and is breathing wasn't so bad but still faster than normal. Also 3 of his fins are a bit tattered and kinda splitting at the ends. One of the them is a little white at the ends also. Ive never known clown fish to have fin rot but could this be it? He ate like a pig today but I'm still worried.
Tank Parameters
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: below 5
PH: 8.2
Temp: 80
FOWLR and tank mates are another clown and a valantini puffer. Both clowns have been in the tank for 6+ months. The larger clown chases him a little but nothing the seems harmful.
Please help

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What else is in the tank with him?? He may be suffering from aggression.

sepulatian

It sounds like aggression to me as well. How long have you had the puffer? The larger clown will chase him more and more as they mature and the large one turns into a female. Keep an eye on it. If the harassment continues then you may want to put him into a qt for awhile.

I'll give that a shot. Do you think alot of the harassment goes on at night because today when the lights came on he looked the same, breathing fast, a little pale... But when I got home today he looked perfect except for his split fins which are still there but look better.
Ive had the puffer for 2-3 months. Hes chill with everyone tho, not in the least bit aggressive ever.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
http:///forum/post/2461981
I'll give that a shot. Do you think alot of the harassment goes on at night because today when the lights came on he looked the same, breathing fast, a little pale... But when I got home today he looked perfect except for his split fins which are still there but look better.
Ive had the puffer for 2-3 months. Hes chill with everyone tho, not in the least bit aggressive ever.
I am thinking it is more the larger clown than the valentini. Yes, the aggression could be happening at night. If his fin is looking better then don't worry too much. Keep an eye on the situation.