Clown fish dead, All parameters perfect WHY?????

excalibur

OK like I said I came home from work today to find my perc. clown laying at the bottom of the tank, dead. Last night he was very active as I was feeding him, late last night, water parameter is as follows.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate less 10
salinity 1.026 I KNOW
phos. less 1.5
temp 78.
only thing that was different is for the past few days I've been adding a cap ful of kent calicum, I don't add anything else. no kawlk nothing, Rest of tank looks healthy, all snails, crabs, star and urchin fine and shrimps too, any guesses do you think it's the calicum,

sirgunther

Sometimes fish do just die... I have had a couple that for no apparent reason just up and died.. water was fine, no ick or anything, just up an died. It's not cool when they do, and most are for a reason, but everyonce in a while nature takes its course and a fish that was borm with a disease or defecet will just go on about its natural path.. Just keep an eye on the rest of the tank, if other fish start dropping dead the you have a problem.
forgive my spelling im eating dinner... lol

ophiura

Do you think that specific gravity it too high? What's with the "I Know?" For inverts or reef tank, there is no problem with that at all, especially if you have seastars. Fish only tanks are kept around 1.021 or so, but that is generally thought to help keep parasites down. Parasites are often invertebrates and invertebrates don't like low salinity. So I wouldn't worry about lowering the salinity, if that was your concern....don't let it creep more if that is how it got there though. You don't want it too much higher. But it didn't, IMO, kill the clown.
What is your pH and alkalinity? If you've started working with calcium, follow these others too.
I agree with the "sometimes fish just die" line. I am assuming there were no obvious marks or anything on him...

excalibur

I'm testing SG, with a hydrometer, I did think the salinity was high, it's good to know it's ok, I haven't tested anything besides the ammonia, rite, rate and phosphates, I stopped with the calicum, I was afraid that was it,
Their were no visible signs and anything like sickness, Last thing They usually sleep on the sand bed, I do have some patches of hair algea do you think that would bother him at all.

ophiura

No, not the hair algae. But I would at the very least start testing pH...alk is also very helpful. It is not likely that was a cause, but low alk (and therefor fluctuating pH) is potentially fatal.

nm reef

I'd wonder if the hydrometer is accurate. They can often be inaccurate. if yours is reding 1.026 and it is actually much higher you could have a problem. Plus what was mentioned about alk and PH is worth considering. I'd urge anybody that is supplimenting to raise calcium to accurately test and monitor alkalinity ... calcium ... and PH...problems with one can trigger sudden changes in the others...and problems maintaining proper PH may cause problems.:thinking:

ophiura

True about the hydrometer....I tend not to think that :) But at the very least soak it in some white vinegar to remove any build up and make sure it is roughly in the same area. Good to invest in, or at least find someone with a refractometer to know for sure.

excalibur

No more hydrometer, It's soaking now but I plan on ordering one today. The ph test in my kit (hagen) never really worked, It gives an accurate low reading but when I test the high it turns a color not in close to the chat, PLace where I bought it said, It's because it's not high enough to register, Not sure if I bought it but it made me go away, I'm going to test for the ackalinity tonight and see where it's at, The other clown looks just as healthy as the other did before , well... you know

excalibur

Ok to my surprise I don't have a test for alk, thought I had it all in my master test kit, Guess not. I'll have to bring some to the LFS tomorrow, Again the ph didn't register, Turned like a purple color, Purple isn't even on the chart!

ophiura

Definitely take a sample into the LFS and see if they can do a series of water checks on it. Some test kits are more precise than others. Sorry to say I don't think that the Hagen one is especially accurate for this use...but people may have other experiences.

T

thomas712

I might point out that if you are having an algae problem then you may need to take a look at that phosphate. I have problems when mine goes above 0.2. If yours is at 1.5 then you may have tons of algae growing that you don't want.
:thinking: Are you using tap water?

excalibur

Ummm, aaaa ya I'm Useing tap water, I started buying ro water, But the closest place is 30 min and basically I got tired of it, My Tap water is run through a filter that's hook up under my sink. I know it's no RO system but it made me feel better,
as far as the test kit I just bought what I thought was the best, It was the most $$ on the site where I bought it. I see salifest kit are pretty popular, Tomorrow I'm hitting the fish store. Tonight I got home late from work. I'm pretty sure I want a ro system but a little confussed about the hookup and where does the water go. I sure their are lots of info on this site. I just have to search.

bustedup21

you can also buy distilled water at a walmart or target for half a buck and add your own salt. most of the distilled is ro/di and then steam distilled. mine always tested good; i did finally buy and rodi unit and i do love it. i have 75 gallons of fresh and salt mix out there swirling around. that is nice.