Clown Fish DEBATE!!!!!!!!!

chris2010

Ok my cleaner shrimp are harrassing my anenome. I think the way to solve this is to get a clown fish to host the anenome. I want this 275 gallon reef tank to be a peaceful reef tank. Love the Gold banded maroon clown fish but some say its aggressive. Ive seen in some tanks, Peculars and Tomato clowns in the same tank. Which should I get.

reefmate75

i love my maroon clowns, people say they are mean, but i have to differ from the others, sure mine do not like other fish in their cave or around their anemones but that IS the way they are, mine do not hurt the fish they force out of their area, they will swim up slowly and open their mouth and push with all they have out of their cave and many times dont even leave a mark on my tangs skin, if you know how easy it is to scuff a tangs skin its very suprizeing that they can be that gentle but yet so forcefull, if they was really hurting the fish i do not belive they would go back into their cave just to be forced out again as my percula isnt stupid and will not go in their cave as they will go after him for comeing withen 1 foot of their area

reefmate75

BTW what kind of anemone is it? if its a condi then you would need a clarkii to host it, thats the only clown i know of that will host them more then not, and my cleaner shrimp dose steal the anemones food often and my clowns do nothing to stop him from doing it

chris2010

Originally Posted by reefmate75
http:///forum/post/2531652
BTW what kind of anemone is it? if its a condi then you would need a clarkii to host it, thats the only clown i know of that will host them more then not, and my cleaner shrimp dose steal the anemones food often and my clowns do nothing to stop him from doing it
Darn it is a Florida Conde

bonesnapper

I love my Clarkii/Sebae Clown. He hasn't really shown any interest in my Pink Tip Haitian Anemone. Maybe he will later.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by BoneSnapper
http:///forum/post/2531742
I love my Clarkii/Sebae Clown. He hasn't really shown any interest in my Pink Tip Haitian Anemone. Maybe he will later.
Sebaes only really like pacific anemones and Carpets... I dont think he will ever host a Haitain Pink tip.. sorry..

chris2010

Ok my cleaner shrimp have stopped harassing my anenome but still hang around it. Do you guys think that I can get 3 different types of clowns in my tank. Remember the tank is 8 feet long. I was thinking the following: Clarkii with the Conde Anenome, the pair of peculas with a carpet anenome, and a tomato clown with a BTA. How does this sound if I space the anemones 2.5 to 3 feet apart.

brad pitt

tomato clownfish are the bomb! tomato clowns usually love anemones more than percula. but if i was u i would get a mated pair of black percula clownfish with that size tank =]

chris2010

Ya Tomatoes are pretty cool. I just dont want that Florida Conde anemone to be alone and not hosted. My dad wants it to stay in there just because it was free(was attached to live rock). Do you think 3 different clown fish would be ok in this tank???

perfectdark

Originally Posted by brad pitt
http:///forum/post/2534124
tomato clownfish are the bomb! tomato clowns usually love anemones more than percula. but if i was u i would get a mated pair of black percula clownfish with that size tank =]
Black Percula Clownfish?
Are refering to B&W Ocellaris? Onyx Percs? or B&W Saddle Back Clowns?
I have never heard of a Black and White Percula.... unless its a false perc which is really an ocellaris...FWIW I dont like the label given false perc, it instills a false ID IMO. By species they are ocellaris and should be called that to save any confusion. IMO.... LOL.

chris2010

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2534441
Black Percula Clownfish?
Are refering to B&W Ocellaris? Onyx Percs? or B&W Saddle Back Clowns?
I have never heard of a Black and White Percula.... unless its a false perc which is really an ocellaris...FWIW I dont like the label given false perc, it instills a false ID IMO. By species they are ocellaris and should be called that to save any confusion. IMO.... LOL.
Ya, I think thats what he ment to say.

chris2010

Originally Posted by Chris2010
http:///forum/post/2533544
Ok my cleaner shrimp have stopped harassing my anenome but still hang around it. Do you guys think that I can get 3 different types of clowns in my tank. Remember the tank is 8 feet long. I was thinking the following: Clarkii with the Conde Anenome, the pair of peculas with a carpet anenome, and a tomato clown with a BTA. How does this sound if I space the anemones 2.5 to 3 feet apart.

o2ngk

I assume when you say cleaner shrimp bothering the anenome is during feeding time, correct? If that is the case all you need to do is to feed your shrimp with a small piece of what you feed the anenome. It will keep the shrimp busy then you can feed the anenome. If it is not during feeding time, the clown fish may defend his home.