Clown fish help

imafloormatt

I have been thinking about buy a few clown fish (but not before I do a bit more research on their needs) and I noticed that on all of the care sheets I have read, they explain how to properly breed them; but what if I don't want to?
Is there a way to keep them from breeding because I am very new to reef aquariums and I don't think I have the time or experience to handle the babies.

silverdak

well as far as breeding goes... unless you get a "mated pair" the chances would be slim, not out of the question but slim. Even some mated pairs dont even mate. I have had min for over a year now and they haven't mated and they were bought at the same time (not as a mated pair tho) also if you have other things in the tank I feel like they would eat the babies anyways, could be wrong on that last part tho haha

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/3058646
well as far as breeding goes... unless you get a "mated pair" the chances would be slim, not out of the question but slim. Even some mated pairs dont even mate. I have had min for over a year now and they haven't mated and they were bought at the same time (not as a mated pair tho) also if you have other things in the tank I feel like they would eat the babies anyways, could be wrong on that last part tho haha
I disagree with the first statement. There is a lot more probability than "slim" that your clowns would become a mated pair.
I agree with the last statement. Even if they mate, unless you take the necessary steps to raising, you will never see a clownfish fry due to the food chain in our aqauriums.

imafloormatt

Ok, so to take care of the problem, just get more fish. What types of fish are best kept in the same tank as a pair true percs.?

imafloormatt

Well, I have a 10g I was going to use that my brother gave me but that will be too small. So I was thinking of going and finding a cheap 20g. Is that still too small?

silverdak

Originally Posted by Alabama Reefer
http:///forum/post/3058761
I disagree with the first statement. There is a lot more probability than "slim" that your clowns would become a mated pair.
I agree with the last statement. Even if they mate, unless you take the necessary steps to raising, you will never see a clownfish fry due to the food chain in our aqauriums.
lol and I thought it would go the other way haha, I have done lots of reading and listening to other people about the first part, about the likeliness of them mating. there is a lot of different variables I would assume