Clown Fish Wont Host To Anemones?

montanareefer

I bought a picaso clown a few weeks ago and it still has not taken to my rose bubble tip anemone. I purchased a colored condy anemone last week and the clown hasnt even looked at it? I thought clowns and anemones where like peas in a pod? Is there something i am doing wrong or will time be the only solution?
I have a theory: the clown really only swims in the top left of the tank. he rarley swims around the parimiter of the tank like my yellow tang does. the condy is in the middle of the tank and the rose tip is now hiding in the bottom back of the tank. Is the clown just scared of swimming out in the open or what??!!

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaReefer http:///t/393252/clown-fish-wont-host-to-anemones#post_3497066
I bought a picaso clown a few weeks ago and it still has not taken to my rose bubble tip anemone. I purchased a colored condy anemone last week and the clown hasnt even looked at it? I thought clowns and anemones where like peas in a pod? Is there something i am doing wrong or will time be the only solution?
I have a theory: the clown really only swims in the top left of the tank. he rarley swims around the parimiter of the tank like my yellow tang does. the condy is in the middle of the tank and the rose tip is now hiding in the bottom back of the tank. Is the clown just scared of swimming out in the open or what??!!
Give it some time. You never know with clownfish. It may never take to it or it may be taking to it as we speak. I had a couple of clowns that were hosted by a featherduster back in the day (did I really just use that phrase?). Time will tell. Obviously you don't want to move the anemone. As with all fish that have personalities, they are completely unpredictable.

S

saxman

Another consideration is that many captive bred clowns don't ever associate with 'nems...they have no idea what a 'nem is. (BTW, the 'nems host the fish, not the other way around).

pezenfuego

The clownfish is doing the action. Which means that sometimes making the mistake helps get your point across more clearly. It therefore doesn't bother me in the slightest.

nycbob

imo, if the clownfish doesnt go to the anemone within a week or two, its never going to take a liking to it. condy is not a host for clownfish.

luvmyreef

Ya know, it took my tank bred clowns over a year to finally make a home in my lta. I didn't think they ever would! ;)