clown loosing color

rudy1121

Hey Im new to the hobby and my question to the rest of you is that my Percula is loosing it's color and won't eat anything but live brine (which isn't a problem). Im worried about its color and health..Any help for this rookie would be great.

promisetbg

Live brine shrimp has little to no nutrtional value.I recommend that you try some other foods.Frozen mysis is a better staple.And variety is best.Adding some spirulina to the diet will help with color.The addition of Kent Zoe and Selcon, will give him vitamins and amino acids necessary to be healthy ,active and colorful as well.
What other foods have you tried? You can make your own food as well.

lion_crazz

If all he will eat his the live brine right now, start putting vitamins into the brine to make them a *little* more nutritional for him.

promisetbg

How long has your tank been set up? What size is it and what are your other tank inhabitants? What are your parameters?
Sorry for your loss.

rudy1121

6 Gal Nano. 2 crabs 2 turbo snails and about 6 lbs. LR. It was sent up for 2 weeks before I added the clown and 1 crab and the 2 snails. I took the fish and a water sample to the dealer and he said it didn't have anything to do with the water. He thought it had some ticks on it ????

theonlykc

Originally Posted by rudy1121
Too late.. Died 20 minutes after my AM post
owwwww thats so sad! I'm sorry! How sad!

theonlykc

6 Gal Nano. 2 crabs 2 turbo snails and about 6 lbs. LR. It was sent up for 2 weeks before I added the clown and 1 crab and the 2 snails. I took the fish and a water sample to the dealer and he said it didn't have anything to do with the water. He thought it had some ticks on it ????
ahhhh!!! OMG thats so gross, poor baby!

promisetbg

Percula clowns are not good as a starting fish.Oscellaris would be a far better choice as they are hardier. What were the parameters? Not trying to push,but if you don't know..you should. Just a suggestion...work on getting the individual test kits for your self so you know what's going on in your tank.2 weeks from initial set-up..or after cycle was complete? The tank should be fully cycled before you add livestock.Fish do not get ticks. What were the outward signs before he died? A 6 gal tank that is new is going to be very delicate and unbalanced at first.Care must be taken that no parameter gets out of whack...there is no margin in that tank for error.

rudy1121

The fish went from having white spots "ticks", to turning gray in matter of 20 hours.
I had the fish for about 13 days. The water was tested before the fish was introduced to the tank and everything checked out fine. I don't think I rushed anything, the fish are far too expensive to do that. But like I said I'm a rookie, so maybe I did. I will wait at least 2-3 weeks before trying again.

promisetbg

Did you actually see a cycle?The tank must cycle before it is ready for fish..if you just leave it dormant for the next few weeks you may lose much of the bacteria,if there is even any present.You may have to force the cycle by adding food or a dead shrimp.Just saying 'all the parameters were perfect' leads me to think that a cycle never occured.Once a bio-load is put on the tank it won't be ready to handle it.

rudy1121

Could you explain "once you put a bio-load on it". Thanks and I appreciate the advise you are giving me but not fully understanding the explainations.

promisetbg

Ok..here is how it works..in a nutshell.
You put together your tank..say with rock,sand,sw,etc..The rock and sand have a certain amount of bacteria in them.This bacteria needs nutrients to survive. You feed your fish,they make waste,and the bacteria breaks down the waste from amm,to nitrite,to nitrate. Once the bacteria is established,and the tank's bio-load is established,this happens rather quickly on a daily basis.Bio-load is basicly what the amount of tank inhabitants you have produce on a daily basis.This is why it is important never to add more than 1 or two fish at a time,so the bacteria can catch up with the amount of waste they produce.In a 6 gal. tank I would'nt put more than 1 fish.
A 6 gallon tank does'nt give much water volume for any of the important parameters to get out of whack.Here is what you must monitor at least until you learn at a glance if something is wrong,and even then you still need to check periodically. Specific gravity,Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate, Phosphates, PH, and Alkalinity.I also recommend that you get in the habit of small frequent weekly water changes.making sure that the new water you are going to use is RO/DI water,that the specific gravity,temp, and PH are the same as your tank. You must also top off daily with fresh plain RO/DI~ the water that evaporates.Stability and maturity is what is important in keeping marine life.
In the next few weeks I would go ahead and force a cycle,so you are certain that it has in fact occurred and the tank is ready to handle a fish,and some inverts. The proper clean-up crew is also important to the tank. You are really going at this the hard way..starting out with a small tank.It took me two years to get up the nerve to try a small tank.I wish you luck,and will be here to help if you need.