Clown mixing

If I put black and white clowns with false percs would ths work in a 300+ tank
or in a tank that size is it possible to mix any other clowns

srfisher17

Originally Posted by justinwwwallin
http:///forum/post/3161547
If I put black and white clowns with false percs would ths work in a 300+ tank
or in a tank that size is it possible to mix any other clowns
(Just my drivel, not intended personally) I wish the hobby would just eliminate the name "False Perc". I guess a Harlequin Tuskfish could be a "False Perc" too.
Most B&W clowns on the market are tank-bred Ocellaris Clowns, so are "False Percs"---so you would probably be putting the same species together and the fish sure don't know the difference. Even though Ocellaris clowns do well in groups, especially when young, they will pair off and have some territorial squabbles. Usually, I think more than one pair of grown clowns in any tank is a mistake,but I think a 300 gal can handle a few pair. I'd never mix species of larger clowns (Maroon, Tomato, Cinnamon, etc) in any tank. A big, female of any large species will not tolerate any other clown within her sight.

tonysi

You should look up the amphiprion leucokranos-those are some nice looking fish a lil pricey,but nice looking non the less.

srfisher17

Anything in this hobby sometimes works (at least, short-term), and I know how you feel about Clownfish. But, IME & IMO, I agree with Bob Fenner's comment in "The Conscience Marine Aquarist": "Large, nonpaired adults generally do fight in all but the largest systems. Likewise, mixing species of all but juvenile sizes is chaotic. Keep them in separate systems".
The largest online dealer says: " Clownfish should be purchased in small groups consisting of one species, and introduced to the aquarium simultaneously."

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3162222
Anything in this hobby sometimes works (at least, short-term), and I know how you feel about Clownfish. But, IME & IMO, I agree with Bob Fenner's comment in "The Conscience Marine Aquarist": "Large, nonpaired adults generally do fight in all but the largest systems. Likewise, mixing species of all but juvenile sizes is chaotic. Keep them in separate systems".
The largest online dealer says: " Clownfish should be purchased in small groups consisting of one species, and introduced to the aquarium simultaneously."
Yeah I'll probably only mix the black and whites with ocellaris.
And I'm not saying your wrong in anyway. But the Omaha henry doorly zoo has succesfully
mixed more than one big clown species (though their tank is like 5,000 gallons or more)
I'd like to show u cuz I think u might get a kick out of how many clowns they have :)
and again I'm not going against your word and I'm not mixing them
I just thought this was so cool!

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3162274
Yeah I'll probably only mix the black and whites with ocellaris.
And I'm not saying your wrong in anyway. But the Omaha henry doorly zoo has succesfully
mixed more than one big clown species (though their tank is like 5,000 gallons or more)
I'd like to show u cuz I think u might get a kick out of how many clowns they have :)
and again I'm not going against your word and I'm not mixing them
I just thought this was so cool!
There just aren't many guarantees in this hobby; everything can work (and probably has) sometimes. All we can do is get all the info & opinion that we can and make an informed decision. I've got no problem going against the "rules', I do it all the time. But my willingness to lose a fish now and then may be higher than most and I can usually spot a bad move soon enough to rescue the fish that's in trouble.

Yes I know exactly what u mean! Like how people say every butterfly will eat coral. Not true.
Every fish has a personality, it just depends on what one I get.
They also say copperbands won't eat. I've bought one who ate the most, he died from an anemone. So when the anemone was gone I bought another who wouldn't eat till he died
or how they say no tangs can go together. Not true. It depends on the temper of the fish itself. Most likely yes they will fight, but it doesn't mean every tang u buy will be mean
same as clowns. I have two maroons who are less agressive than my ocellaris.
But I don't wanna risk losing some fish over a mix
that's what i like about the guys at my lfs.
They don't say it's impossible. But it's really likely.
It just depends on the fish itself

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3162290
Yes I know exactly what u mean! Like how people say every butterfly will eat coral. Not true.
Every fish has a personality, it just depends on what one I get.
They also say copperbands won't eat. I've bought one who ate the most, he died from an anemone. So when the anemone was gone I bought another who wouldn't eat till he died
or how they say no tangs can go together. Not true. It depends on the temper of the fish itself. Most likely yes they will fight, but it doesn't mean every tang u buy will be mean
same as clowns. I have two maroons who are less agressive than my ocellaris.
But I don't wanna risk losing some fish over a mix
that's what i like about the guys at my lfs.
They don't say it's impossible. But it's really likely.
It just depends on the fish itself
Your last sentence says it all. IMO, when we move fish from the reef to our tanks; we really mess with their brains. If fish on the reef don't stick to their behavior model in the wild, they are eaten. You never see a clown in the wild without his/her anemone, they are so slow they need the protection; but they do just fine in a tank without one. Again, IMO, fish learn in captivity that they can deviate from the norm in many ways and get away with it. So many folks want absolute answers and there just aren't many. Lots of my drivel here, but what makes it tough when giving opinions on many questions on this forum is that the proper reply might not match with the value the hobbiests places on the life of a fish. Some folks are not willing to take any chances, others don't care at all, and still others have all sorts of values between the two extremes. I guess that's the way it should be.