Clown or Black Hawaiian Trigg.???

agrsiv210

Which one would you guys recommend? I can't seem to find a black hawaiian anywhere in the 4 in. range. I have found clown triggers but am still not convinced that they will leave my other fish alone. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

camaro03

If you get a clown trigger add him to the tank last that is what i did with mine to prevent any compatablity problems. Also get a medium size one as some juveniles are not that hardy and a large one might be to aggressive . I have mine 6-7 inch one in a reef tank with small damsels and chromis with no problems but fish are like people and all have their own personality.

camaro03

lion Crazz
Not sure if you were asking me or the thread starter but he is in a 180 G reef (softies, LPS, and SPS) with a tang, clowns, Niger trigger, Halquin tusk and 4 various damsels and chromis.

lion_crazz

I was actually talking about the original poster but that is cool that he is doing well in your reef tank. Do you have any pics? I am really interested to see your tank now.

aw2

Either species if going to need a fairly large tank, but get a Durgeon even if you have to wait, while searching.
They're MUCH less aggressive than Clowns and alot nicer.

ophiura

Originally Posted by AW2
They're MUCH less aggressive than Clowns and alot nicer.

And under appreciated, IMO.

lion_crazz

I am just curious, but has anyone ever seen a really small black durgeon? I absolutely love the fish but I have never seen one sold or in a public aquarium under 8-10 inches.

aw2

Originally Posted by ophiura
And under appreciated, IMO.

I absolutely LOVE them...they're my favorite Trigger.
Originally Posted by lion_crazz

I am just curious, but has anyone ever seen a really small black durgeon? I absolutely love the fish but I have never seen one sold or in a public aquarium under 8-10 inches.
I had one, a while ago, that was aprox. 5" - 6" and I had purchased it a little smaller than that. Unfortunately, with the introduction of an unquarentined Clown Trigger, I lost it due to the worst outbreak of ich that I had ever seen.
Here's the little guy, that I had:

lion_crazz

wow, thanks for posting that! He looks awesome. I have never seen a small one before. What did you have in with him??

agrsiv210

Lion Crazz, I have a FOWLR 210 Gal. I have found one 3"-4", I had two of the LFS do some leg work and they both found them through their brokers - 3"-4". It will be coming in this week. Thanks for posting that pic of the black hawaiian, it just confirmed my suspicion that it is the most beautiful trigger. When I get mine I will post a pic. I will have it next week due to Quarantine at the store. Worth the wait though IMO.
:joy:

lion_crazz

oh, that is what you are calling a black hawaiin? Then definitely go with one of them! I have the same tank as you, a 210 FOWLR, and I have thought about getting a durgeon in the past but I have never seen one small.

aw2

lion_crazz:
He was in with numerous fish. My Hawaiian Dragon Moray, Whitemouth Moray, 15" Volitan Lion, Blue Throat Trigger, Harlequin Tusk, Passer Angel, Sailfin Tang and the dreaded Clown Trigger, that gave everyone ich. Note...not all of these fish were in the tank at the same time.
Some people call them Durgeons, some people called them Black Hawaiians, but the proper name is actually both...Black Hawaiian Durgeon Trigger.
And yes, Triggered, I believe they're in the same family as Pinktails.
There was a LFS, in Chicago, that had one for sale, in a 300gal. tank. He was AT LEAST 10" long and one of the most beautiful fish I'd ever seen. They were asking something like $700 for it.

mitzel

Hey guys I had a brain storm just now while looking at this picture . Why dont we have the mods make a sticky . that just has pictures of diferent aggressives . Not so much as a this is a _______ and it gets to be __ it eats this and that and needs a _____ gallon tank but just pictures of each spieces. Thers a ton of good looking fish out there and nobody knows about them . This would give us newer keepers a better veiw of speices that would be just as suited to our systems but are seen less.

dischirm

did you notice that this site (saltwaterfish.com) has one for sale?? I order all my fish off the web due to the fact that I dont seem to have any decent LFS around me and this site has always done right by me!

agrsiv210

Honestly guys this is the most beautiful fish I have ever seen. Across the board hands down. It is calm enough to be housed in a tank with semi-aggressive fish, and mean enough to be housed with a queen trigger. The way this fish changes colors is just awesome. So many colors will be seen with this fish during meal times, when it gets pissed off, or when it is just swimming around the tank. Been in love with it since the first time I saw it. Nonetheless IMO the most beautiful well rounded fish I have ever seen.

aw2

AGRSIV210,
Speaking of color...
When I had mine, I saw turn it turn everything from completely black to almost white. I saw him in light green, neon green, dark green, olive green, light blue, dark blue, almost a pale yellow...he was really cool.
Here are a few more pics...

agrsiv210

The guy who had one at the LFS here in town those teal green lines on yours, I saw red, blue, teal, and gold. Just the best display fish you can have. Maybe I'll name mine Bevo.
GO LONGHORNS!!!!!

lion_crazz

Wow, thanks for posting all those pics. I just love Durgeon triggers, and thanks for clearing up the name confusion that I had.