clown question??

scribben

hello all!!
my gsm clown started hosting my bubble coral within the last month which is very cool, but whats not cool is the fact that he seems to be having some problems with his appearance. for example
mouth swollen
stripes dis colored
well basically like he got whipped.
now is this a after effect from his hosting the coral or should i look elswhere for the problem. water params are very good,and no other problems in the tank except not being able to catch the damn mantis shrimp thats in my tank>>>> lol thanks in advance

droshi

Bump for you.
I have heard that clown will host in stinging corals that may harm them, even continually. Unfortunately I don't know what to do, but maybe someone else does. Do you have a compatible anemone in there?

scribben

thanks for the reply.
i understand the whole symbiotic relationship the with corals anenomes mainly but i also know that a clown will host many different types of corals as well. i am just wondering if they can over do it and actually bring death upon themselves or even illness maybe.
he just looks bad i guess since he has never hosted a coral before if he will go through a period inflicting injury to get himself used to the coral he is hosting. i wish i knew if this is normal or if i should seperate him from the coral for awhile ?

t n h

dont have any answers for you but fixen to buy a anemoe myself, dont want the same thing to happen

clarkiiboi

I doubt it is b/c of the coral. I have seen discoloration on one of my angels, similar to what you got. It was from a cleaner shrimp getting very picky. I was worried, but it now looks back to normal. Do you have a cleaner shrimp? Just a thought, I cant comment on the swollen mouth.