Clown Question

I bought two clowns about a month ago, there doing well in my tank but I have 1 question (may be stupid). I always see people calling there clowns a mated pair. What does this mean? Will two clowns put together always make a mated pair? Do they act different when they are?
Also, I havn't run any lights on my tank for the longest time because of diatoms. I have switched to RO water so I got them back up and running yesterday but with them on I notice dust on the surface of then water and some flying around the tank. Is this a bad thing?, and how do I get rid of it?
Thanks All

trigger11

Thoroughbred said:
I bought two clowns about a month ago, there doing well in my tank but I have 1 question (may be stupid). I always see people calling there clowns a mated pair. What does this mean? Will two clowns put together always make a mated pair? Do they act different when they are?
No, if you put two clowns together they will not always pair up. Clownfish are very different in the way they mate. They all start off as males. Once they become juveniles one clownfish will become more dominant and then will change --- to a female. Once they turn to female they can not go back. There is some good information about this over in the clownfish anemone section.
Also, I havn't run any lights on my tank for the longest time because of diatoms. I have switched to RO water so I got them back up and running yesterday but with them on I notice dust on the surface of then water and some flying around the tank. Is this a bad thing?, and how do I get rid of it?
The dust at the top of the water is leftover food and detritus. What kind of filtration do you have? Also, how much water flow do you have? Do you have a protein skimmer? If not then that would be helpful if you are not running a sump.