Clown Romance blog

socalnano24

Hi, so I have two true percs in my 24 nano. I bought them both at the same time in early October. One of them is about 3/4 inch the other 1 1/4 inches or so. The first month or so they just followed each other around and didn't necesarily interact any particular way towards each other.
Then the smaller one started doing the sideways vibrating thing, while around the larger one. The larger one occasionally will chase off the smaller but the smaller one puts up with it instead of running away, and then eventually they go back to normal.
For the last 3 or 4 months they've both hosted the powerheads together at night.
However just recently the male started hosting the frogspawn directly below the powerheads, while the female has stayed put.
I just now tonight saw the larger one, (which i think is now female), do the vibrating dance. Is this a good sign? Is this backwards?
Does the male moving to a different night time sleeping spot mean anything?
Am I reading way too much into my clowns relationship, haha

Interested to hear opinions or stories of your own clown romances

kpclown

I'm pretty sure the vibrating you are seeing is called quaking and is a form of submissive behavior. Seeing the male do this would not be shocking but what is weird is that you have seen the female do it as well. Percula clown males are the most devoted to their mates of all the clownfish species. From what I have read they will sometimes ignore eating and caring for the eggs because they are too wrapped up in their mate. Needless to say they have strange behavior and I wouldn't look into it too much

socalnano24

Yah, either way they're still getting along. Hasn't been anything too new lately. Just realized they've been in the tank almost 5 months, and they're still doing good :)