Clown Trigger & Volitan Lion...

hocky98

I am interested in featuring a volitan lion and/or clown trigger in my 75 gallon tank. What other critters could I put with them that will not be eaten or picked on? I'd like a snowflake eel and maybe some clowns, starfish, etc. How about a cleaning crew?
If need be, I could go without one of them if it just limits me too much.

squidd

There is no such thing as a "Dwarf" Voltain Lion...
And unfortunately, both those fish require a larger tank than a 75...

hocky98

I corrected my statement about "dwarf". I know eventually they will require a larger tank, but I can cross that road when I get to it. My concerns are if I were to get one or both, what other thing can I put in with the trigger or lion.

liontamer

Lions are a better choice if yer thinking ahead. You can keep any fish with a lion as long as it wont fit in its mouth. BUT...triggers, especially clown triggers, dont do so well with the "sharing a tank" thing. They can get quite evil and end up eventually destroying everything in yer tank. And u cant keep the two together, cuz the clown has maybe a 75% chance of ripping yer lions fins to shreds. Maybe a different, more passive trigger would be better, like a niger or sumthing of that sort. But id say u can keep a full grown volitan in a 125 whereas ud need a 190 for a full grown trigger. It depends on which one u really want, and then you have to wrok with them on getting other fish. If u want a nice community tank, id say get a lion (unless you want smaller fish) the cons for both the species is that wen they get full grown, a lion will swallow the smaller fish, or a trigger will simply bite em in half. I personally would say go with a lion cuz im a lion guy, but they are kinda boring if u dont respect them. So do some research, see waht you want and then come back. But for right now if u got a dwarf lion then that could live for life in yer 75 no problem. Antenattas are a good choice....

hocky98

Thanks for the insite. I am leaning towards the lion because I want other fish. The clown trigger is an amazing looking fish, but you have to sacrifice so much to accomidate one. I may even go with a small lion (Dwarf). Any suggestions that will go good in a community tank with clowns and such?

liontamer

A lion will not be any good with clowns cuz it will boviously eat them, but HUGE marroon clowns are okay with them, Dwarf lions are still pretty cool, and often times more intersting to look at.

harlequin

There are other lions that will do better for a 75 than a Vols. An antennatta is a bright colored lion that will not fade in color like a volitans and does not get quite as large either meaning other fish will be safer. You still have to be careful however as lions grow extremely fast. If you put a vols in the 75, my guess would be no more than a year before it is too big. One good thing about the Pterois genus(antennata, volitans, radiata...) over the various dwarf species of lions(zebras, Fu's...) is they are much easier to train to eat prepared food, they just eat alot of it.

lion_crazz

A lion is an awesome fish to have. In my 75 with my volitan, I have a striped puffer, lawn mower blenny, banggai cardinal, gudgeon goby, and an engineer goby. Though non of the fish could even fit in his mouth, the volitan is not aggressive to any of them (and he has been in the tank the longest). I have had mine for about 8 or 9 months, and is not getting very big. I got him at about 2 or 3" and he is about 5" now. I feed mine 3 large feedings a week.
I, too, would definitely recommend against a clown trigger as well. Like suggested, a niger or blue throat would be a much better choice with a lion.

liontamer

Lions are never aggressive like that. THey dont attack, they only have the ability to kill watever fits in their mouths. They are territorial a lil wen they get older, cuz my volitan just loves his lil cave (the pic is of him guarding the entrance, which he does after every meal) but other than that they are mad chill. If another fish nips at em during feeding (which can happen often) they will definitely snap at the fish, but cant do much else. Sometimes its funny to see my dumb tusk nip at his fin a lil, then see the lion just pounce at him