Clown Trigger???

cichlidfor

Originally Posted by Squidd
I have a better idea...
When you actually have...or have had...a 15" fish in "any" size tank...for any "reasonable" period of time ...say Two -Three years minimum...(not a 2" fish in a 10 gallon tank for 3 weeks)
THEN...you can come back and share your...personal...and "real life" experiances...and you may even have some "credibility" to your "opinion"....
Till then, I would suggest taking a step back...and listening to those that "have" experiance...
And this goes for anyone watching or following these types of threads...
Whenever you see a difference of opinion and don't know who to believe...Just ask...
"Show me the Money"...or better yet.."Show me your tank and fish"...
Then you'll know who is in the "know"...
Good idea Squidd but so far Puffer is the only one to post pictures and assure that he has had first hand information.

ophiura

Originally Posted by cichlidfor
And for those people that are saying that clown triggers need an aquarium of 300+ gallons without first hand experience then you are just basically wasting time and space on this thread.

You profile says you are 16 with 4 months experience and witha 55g tank?
I HAVE worked with these fish. First Hand. More than a few months. And more than those in a holding tank.
Walk the walk?? I have worked in an LFS. I have worked in a public aquaria. I have visited aquaria around the world as a marine scientist. I have taught fish ecology, morphology and behavior.
Most people can not keep several thousand gallon tanks, that is for sure. I am not saying they MUST be in this size tank. I am saying that when you do see large clown triggers in that size tank, you see how active they are...and how keeping them in smaller systems could EASILY be an issue.

puffer24/7

i had a clown with a firefish for 3 weeks, now all you would have said that would be dead in no time, but is it,no, i have experience and it is a fact that you can keep it in a 210, if you want to get real technical we should not be able to have any fish in our systems bc its not an ocean for crying out loud, and if you want to get that technical i can play that game to, we should not be able to keep any fish in our fish tanks bc our tanks are not an ocean for crying out loud, there you have it, i have become as technical as you guys, are you happy now, and if so please release all your fish back into the wild and if they die so be it, it is better than living in a tank.

puffer24/7

Originally Posted by ophiura
I HAVE worked with these fish. First Hand. More than a few months. And more than those in a holding tank.
I have worked in an LFS. I have worked in a public aquaria. I have visited aquaria around the world as a marine scientist. I have taught fish ecology, morphology and behavior.
Most people can not keep several thousand gallon tanks, that is for sure. I am not saying they MUST be in this size tank. I am saying that when you do see large clown triggers in that size tank, you see how active they are...and how keeping them in smaller systems could EASILY be an issue.
that is very harsh to say, i do not accept that one bit, just bc he does not have that much experience does not mean he has not read books about marine organisms

puffer24/7

Originally Posted by Squidd
I have a better idea...
When you actually have...or have had...a 15" fish in "any" size tank...for any "reasonable" period of time ...say Two -Three years minimum...(not a 2" fish in a 10 gallon tank for 3 weeks)
THEN...you can come back and share your...personal...and "real life" experiances...and you may even have some "credibility" to your "opinion"....
Till then, I would suggest taking a step back...and listening to those that "have" experiance...
And this goes for anyone watching or following these types of threads...
Whenever you see a difference of opinion and don't know who to believe...Just ask...
"Show me the Money"...or better yet.."Show me your tank and fish"...
Then you'll know who is in the "know"...
you did really catch yourself in a lie, i have allready posted pics

ophiura

This is a common argument.
Is it cruel to keep a dog locked up in a cage all the time?
Well, you can do it. And the dog can live. But the ASPCA may call and you may go to court. There is a not always agreed upon but generally accepted minimum amount of space certain animals need before it is considered acceptable to keep them. You can make the argument you are making, but it will make a big impact on your finances over time.
As for the above...he brought out the "walk the walk" and experience part. Experience is not just reading books. Experience is working with the fish, IMO. I suspect if I said that I "read in a book that you can't keep this fish in such a tank" that you would say you have done it? But he should also know that people here actually DO have a lot of experience, even if he disagrees.

J

jcrim

This is not really much of a debate except for where each of us would draw the line. We all agree, except puffer and his alter-ego cichlid, that clown triggers need large tanks and are very aggressive. AW2 suggests a minimum of 300 gallons... another mentioned 240 gallons... I think a 210 would be minimally sufficient. Really, though, these numbers are pretty arbitrary without considering the dimensions of the tank. I'll bet that there are 210s and 240s with the same length and width just different heights. As most people know, added height will not add much swimming room for this type of fish. I do wonder, sometimes, how someone comes to the conclusion that a 210 will not work while a 240 is acceptable. Is that extra 30 gallons really going to make that much of a difference to the fish after being caught from the ocean? And how do we know that is where to draw the line?
Not trying to argue... just my opinion.

puffer24/7

Originally Posted by jcrim
This is not really much of a debate except for where each of us would draw the line. We all agree, except puffer and his alter-ego cichlid, that clown triggers need large tanks and are very aggressive. AW2 suggests a minimum of 300 gallons... another mentioned 240 gallons... I think a 210 would be minimally sufficient. Really, though, these numbers are pretty arbitrary without considering the dimensions of the tank. I'll bet that there are 210s and 240s with the same length and width just different heights. As most people know, added height will not add much swimming room for this type of fish. I do wonder, sometimes, how someone comes to the conclusion that a 210 will not work while a 240 is acceptable. Is that extra 30 gallons really going to make that much of a difference to the fish after being caught from the ocean? And how do we know that is where to draw the line?
Not trying to argue... just my opinion.
sounds like you agree

cichlidfor

Originally Posted by ophiura
Walk the walk?? I have worked in an LFS. I have worked in a public aquaria. I have visited aquaria around the world as a marine scientist. I have taught fish ecology, morphology and behavior.
Haaha. Yes I am 16 but that 4 months of experience may deceive you. I have had freshwater experience for 10 years since I was 6 and thats a fact and I pcik up on saltwater pretty fast. In fact I personally certain types of biotopes and the sybiotic relationships that each fish has with each other is less than complex but easy to figure out. And if you want to get real technical and personal about it, then why even have a Clown Triggerfish if it causes so many problems, wasting all your time and money. Who's going to setup a 300+ tank for a clown trigger. Maybe Mr. fish ecology over here migth since he's the man and all but from what I have seen and researched from people that know what they are doing, I have learned a lot so don't underestimate me