Clown w/ Brooklynella, couple Q's

chrisnif

So I notice my new clown has a white "film" appearance to her skin. I come one here and look and what do you know, its Brooklynella. So I run out and go crazy trying to find Fomalin, and all the typical LFS's that I shop at are closed at 3pm on Sunday, luckily one I don't normally shop at has the stuff.
I used a gallon of tank water and 2 tsp of Fomalin 3 as it says on the package, and let her soak with a powerhead for 40 minutes (says on the package limit to a max of 50 minutes). She seems much better, happily swimming in my QT. I read here that I should repeat this treatment every other day for 3 treatments.
So I just wanted to double check, what is the risk to the other 2 fish (engineer goby, yellow tail blue damsel) of contracting this disease, should I treat them too?
And how long should I QT the clownfish before returning her to the main tank?
Thanks much

beth

Administrator
Staff member
New fish should always be QTed for at least 3 weeks before they go into the display.
Likely your other fish will ok from brooklynella.

chrisnif

Okay, and now that Ive learned my QT lesson and have one set up and everything, let me make sure I have this right.
1. Buy new fish.
2. Acclimate fish to QT tank.
3. Place in QT.
4. Wait
5. Wait more
6. Move to DT.
I've got a 5 gallon (The rest of my fish will be damsels, so that should do just fine). When I do my DT water changes, I was going to remove 2 gallons of QT water, replace with 2 gallons of DT water.
My main question about the QT, should I put any medicine in the QT, or wait until I see symptoms first?
Thanks again

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No meds unless you have a sick fish.
There is also info on QT set up in the FAQ Topic, top of this forum.

chrisnif

Thanks Beth,
Today is now the 3rd day, so another Formalin bath is in order. I just noticed right after the first bath she seemed way better, but yesterday it seemed worse than before the bath. Her fins are looking terrible and she isnt eating much (bites, chews, spits back out mostly). I'm using garlic enriched flake and bloodworm "ice cubes" from san francisco bay brand (I add a drop or two of garlic as the cube melts a tad before going into the water).
Should I be worried? She seems to enjoy her time in the bucket with the formalin, can she go longer than 45 minutes?

garick

Maybe the fin issue is a secondary problem that showed up due to the stress of the first. Like fungus or something? just a thought.

chrisnif

Most of the brooklynella pictures I've seen show fish with torn up fins. I know she isnt getting chased, she's actually swimming round and round the tank at the top.
I've got some copper meds that have antibiotics too, maybe i'll just dose that just in case there is something else too.
Originally Posted by Garick
http:///forum/post/3202432
Maybe the fin issue is a secondary problem that showed up due to the stress of the first. Like fungus or something? just a thought.

chrisnif

I can get a picture in a little bit.
Just a question, the Formalin 3 bottle gives a procedure for a long term treatment instead of just the 45 minute dip. Being my fish wasnt improving I was considering adding the lower dose formalin to the QT to see if that helps. My LFS suggested "RALLY" by RubyReef but I haven't tried any of the "reef safe" chemicals and havent heard any good things about them.
I've dug DEEP in the archives here and it apprears the fin damage is typical brooklynella fin rot.
I just hope she survives, she's so pretty with her blue stripes...
Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3202470
Can you post a picture?

chrisnif

Here are the pictures, sorry its hard to take pics when she is awake, she is always moving and stays so close to the top. Hope these pics help...she has very very very little tail left.
Also, should I dose the QT with formalin per the instructions? I also have M. Green copper treatment that has erythromycin in it. You tell me what to do, she's only been mine for a week, and the LFS I got her at doesn't want to hear anything about it
Never buy "new arrivals"

chrisnif

She's by herself with about 1/2-3/4 pound of LR and I have a 50 gph micro power head that is set so that it just barely is aspirating and the flow is pointed to the bare bottom of the tank, this is just for better oxygenation.
I'll go get some Myracin 2 tomorrow from the LFS, I'm guessing that will help address the fins etc.
She's had 2 dips in Formalin and I put a 1/2 recommended dose in the water (it says 1 tsp for 10 gallon, 1 tsp = 5 mL, I have 5 gallons so I put 1.2 mL in the water, I have a 1 mL syringe with 0.01 graduations, so I can be VERY exacting with dosing anything).
Also, being she's still alive and its the 4th almost 5 day are her chances of survival getting better (i hope).
Thanks

[hr]
EDIT 8 am EST

[hr]
Soaked some omega1 flakes in garlic stuff the LFS gave me (I think its got vitamins too, but it REEKS) anyway she got so excited trying to eat i think she's going to hurt herself. She only has 1 (3/4) side fin (no tail at all and about 1/10th of the other side) left and she keeps floating upside down and it just looks really bad. I'll be waking up around 2 pm, hopefully she's still with us and healthy enough for her 3rd dip. This disease just sucks :(

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't agree in adding formalin to tank, especially when you plan to add antibiotics as well.

chrisnif

She passed before I woke up this afternoon, LFS pointed out to me how their other maroon clown from the same shipment is fine, and im past their "a few days" replacement period. He gave me an interesting damsel and promised to make sure I'm "well taken care of" when I buy more fish.
I'm thinking the issue was the fish had just come in, so she got shipped, unpacked, put in LFS tank, netted, put in a bag, brought to my house, floated, aclimated,and all that all within a day...probably just too much. Pretty or not, next time ill have them hold a "new arrival" for me for a bit before I buy it, just to be sure and to give it time to chill out.

fcatch76

They should have held the fish for at least three days. Acclimation shock to two tanks in one day would kill just about any fish IMO.