Clownfish Attacks

tthemadd1

So I have been working in my tank all day with a blood sucking territorial clownfish. Little bugger is the most aggressive fish I have ever kept. Niger trigger with demon teeth goes into hiding, mimic same, lawnmower mowed away. You would think a clown would be happy and friendly oh no not these little beauties. He will swim right up and tail whip me a few times and then straight for the throat bites my hand. LOL. Then I will chase home to the far side of the tank and go about my business cleaning up algae, moving corals, etc and out of nowhere I get slammed with the large jaws of a little clown.
Honestly though you would think my giant hand in his little world would keep him at bay. Ha. Ha I say.
Oh well to the clowns.

flower

I wouldn't keep the little devil fish. If it's acting like this now, imagine what it will be like in a year. Do you have a cat? I think it's time for some kitty sushi. JK
All fish have their own personalities, I had a Hippo tang that ate the coral. The fish store guy didn't believe me, and thought it was nipping algae that must have been on the coral.... until he took it off my hands. Anyway, if the clown is behaving like a damsel (they actually are in the damsel family), I would rehome it ASAP.

sweatervest13

+1
I would rehome that clown. Unless you don't want to put your hand in the tank anymore. They make some long tong like grabbers that you can use and a mag float to keep the glass clean.
I have a nightmare of getting a little nip from a fish and jerking my hand straight up from the tank, banging into a light fixture and having it fall into the tank. This would destroy the light and maybe fry the tank. Not worth it for me.

S

smallreef

Lol sounds like my last evil maroon clown... I just think they get very territorial about their anemones...if you mnd the biting and slaps then find him a new home.. I laugh at mine and just flick them every now and then...like flower said they are in the damsel family and can be aggressive...so what's to say your next ones won't?

S

saxman

And people wonder why I have an extremely low opinion of clownfish...I've been bitten by clowns, but with all the venomous fish we keep, never so much as an "oops...almost got nailed".

tthemadd1

Oh I've had this fish for five years now. I can't part with my demon fish. More of a joke than real issue. Anyone scared of a clown fish should not partake in this hobby LOL. Really they might be slightly scarier tan my little pony stuffed animals...... With giant metal laser cutting teeth. Grrrrrrr

S

saxman

LOL...It's just the principle of the fish being such a snot, and I see clowns as what they are:...nasty little damsels in fancy pajamas. Like I said, most folks wouldn't put their hands into our tanks on a bet (for instance, 5 lionfish, a scorp, and a waspfish). The worst I get in that tank is the waspfish following me around wanting to sit in my hand (they don't have swim bladders). ;-)

mr. limpid

I have a pair of Ocellaris clowns, I have to bag the male every time I want to clean the tank. After her mate is bagged she sits and waits for his return.

therrman9813

If you have more then one clownfish in the tank they could be a mated pair with eggs hiding somewhere in your tank, eggs are actually really hard to spot unlike finding Nemo's eggs LOL. The male will attack anything that gets close even humans females will do the same. So maybe not demon fish maybe just protective parents. This can only be plausible of course if you have more then one clown in the tank.