Clownfish chasing the new clown

leoh

Hello all,

I'm fairly new(6 months) to this hobby and I'm thankful for everyone who can provide an answer to my problem. I've had a clarkii clown for about 4 months and it was really small when I got it. After 4 months I added another juvenile clarkii hoping they'd pair at some point (2 days ago). But the big one is constantly chasing the small one. I understand this is expected but I'm not sure if I should meddle because the new one is really small and too young to pair up I'd imagine, and I don't know if it can endure the constant pressure.

Here is a short video of the chasing that takes place almost the entire day:
In this image you can see the small one has some problem on it's.. err.. dunno what you call it in English those parts on the front bottom of the fish to swim, I pointed the problematic area in the photo: http://i.imgur.com/1LboASd.jpg

The old clarkii is about half a year old and around 1,5'', the new one, I'm not sure how old it is but it's a little under an inch, 3/4'' perhaps, it's about half the bigger one.

Water parameters etc are all good, usually the big one chases it around for a few seconds, then minds it own business for like don't know a minute, half a minute, then comes back to chasing. I've heard a few times the small one hit the tank lid, I'm guessing it was trying to jump during the hectic chase.

I don't want to wake up in the morning and see this little sweet baby clarkii dead, should I just put it in another tank(I have a 2 gallon tank with sexy shrimps in it, guess it could house the baby clarkii for a while as it's very tiny).

What do you guys think? I will appreciate any information you can provide with.

Thank you all

jay0705

If its constant and doesn't stop, you may have to move it. Adding clowns once one is established can be an issue.

bang guy

In my opinion, the small Clarkii isn't a juvenile. It's a young female in a tank with a larger female. The end result of this is nearly always one lone female picking at the dead remains of a smaller female.

leoh

In my opinion, the small Clarkii isn't a juvenile. It's a young female in a tank with a larger female. The end result of this is nearly always one lone female picking at the dead remains of a smaller female.
Really? I never heard a few month old clownfish can be female, I thought they all started sexless and turns into male once sexual maturity is reached and then turn into female and get really big, and all this happens in at least a year or something. I never heard of an a few months old, half inch long female clownfish. Are you sure of that? I'm quite surprised to hear this.

bang guy

Clarkii and Maroons determine gender quickly if they are left alone for even just a few days or if they are dominant within their brood. The smaller Clownfish in the video looks to be a lot older than just a few months. Did you get it directly from the breeder?

pegasus

All clownfish are born male, and the dominant one will turn into a female. It will establish it's dominance to make sure the others don't change sex. If the new fish is a female, as BG mentioned, it results in the death(s) of the new fish.

bang guy

I thought they all started sexless and turns into male once sexual maturity is reached and then turn into female and get really big, and all this happens in at least a year or something. I never heard of an a few months old, half inch long female clownfish. Are you sure of that? I'm quite surprised to hear this.
This is my understanding as well but the timing is significantly different between the species. Maroons are the worst to try to pair because they change to female so young and quickly for example. They change so fast that if you have a bonded pair and the female dies or is removed you cannot just replace the female because the male will have already started to turn female.

Ocellaris are probably the easiest because it takes them over a year.

pegasus

According to NatGeo (and numerous other reliable sources), ALL clownfish are born MALE. Just saying...

jay0705

I think we all agree there born male. Its just how fast they change to female varies on species

jay0705

Never knew maroons changed so fast. It sucks bc for clowns there nice looking fish. I love mine

jay0705

Nope. Unless u buy direct from a breeder at a very young age.
It has to be possible or there wouldn't be any around. I've never seen a pair myself tho.

jay0705

Clarkii must be similar to maroons unfortunately. Yet I have seen them together before. If you have multiple tanks you'll be fine. Its one of the reasons I keep multiple tanks. Just in case I guess wrong and they don't get along

silverado61

Just a shot in the dark but if you put a partition in the tank to separate them, will they eventually calm down?
I know its a stupid question, even as I write this.