Clownfish compatibility

N

nick17

Actually.. I havn't yet got one.. but letting my LR cycle through and will be slowly adding some soft coral, mushrooms and a Hawiian FD (large).
And, I was wondering what would go with a tomato clown? That will be my first fish.
I just need ideas for the future, as i'm writing these down and saving them.
Thanks guys,
-Nick

toddpolish

in my 90g, I got a Tomato first, then a red firefish, and a scooter blenny. probably add a banggai next.
some may warn about adding a tomato first if you're going for docile fish, but I've been lucky. As long as the tomato gets a nice chunk of food in his mouth, you can spot feed your other fish. Mine hasn't acted aggessively towards the firefish.

N

nick17

I know they act "semi-aggresivly" towards other fish..
Can you just about mix anything with it? just as long as it's not too small or too big?
Hmmm...
Thanks,
-Nick

N

nick17

Would a Bicolor Dwarf Angel fit in with a tomato clown?
The bicolor's MAY nip at soft coral.. I wouldn't mind him untill I see him do it, and he's out.
-Nick

N

nick17

What about the Dwarf Flame Angel?
Same as above but the largest it gets is 5-6 inches.. same as all other dwarfs..
-Nick

N

nick17

And finally, the Lemon Peel Dwarf Angel..
Same as others..
Is it ok to have all 3? and a Tomato Clown? And that's my all my fish, along with a few snails, and a shrimp/crab.
What do you think?
-Nick

N

nick17

Could someone make sure?
Waterfaller1.. I'm not saying your wrong.. but would like to get a "for sure" answer..
Thanks,
-Nick

jumpfrog

Sorry, no such thing as a "for sure" answer in saltwater. Fish have personalities...........could Always go either way.
Most references suggest only one dwarf angel per tank unless the tank is very large. Over 6 foot. And don't forget, angels need pristine water conditions and a very stable tank. Wait at least 6 months to give you the best chance of success.
If it was me I'd add the tomato clown last.

lochi

I have a 29g with a maroon clown(w/anemones), a coral beauty, a madarin, and a sleeper goby. At first i really wanted to put a second or third pygmy angel in, but you'd be suprised how quik the tank fills up. The clown defends the anemones but isn't aggressive about any other areas in the tank. I guess i would advise to pick the angel you like most and go with it. Hope this helps.

N

nick17

Alright, thanks.
I'm prolly going to go with the lemonpeel dwarf.. looks very nice.
Lochi, what kind of Anmones do you have?
Thanks,
-Nick

N

nick17

Thanks Misty..
I'm most likey to go with the lemonpeel in a few months..
Just getting some ideas..
Thanks again,
-Nick

flamehawk

I've also heard that the lemonpeel is rather sensitive. The hardiest seems to be the coral beauty. I have 2 bi-color's in 2 seperate tanks. They both have been around for over 2 years and doing fine. I've had no luck with Flames or lemons.
Would not put 2 dwarfs in same tank unless 180+. Good luck.

N

nick17

Thanks,
I'm working on getting SOME kind of lighting done..
Will let that sit on top of tank for a good week before I add anything..
Thanks,
-Nick

lochi

Waterfaller,
Unfortunately I did reasearch AFTER I got the mandarin(live and learn). He was starting to look pretty skinny so I started trying different foods. He started to eat blood worms and is looking healthier. The coral beauty is constantly grazing but he also gets supplemental feeding. Everything else has been in the tank for 4 + months and seems to be healthy. I have as much live rock as I can cram in my tank as well as live sand.
I wish I had found this site before I started a tank, it would have been alot easier than flying by the seat of my proverbial pants. Thanks for the advice, next time I'll try to get it before I make a mistake that may kill something. Advice is always welcome
Nick,
Unfortunately I have no clue what kind of anemones they are. They were sold to me as "Pacific anemones". I had the first one for 3 months before I bought the second. The clown didn't figure out what to do with the anemones until 1 1/2 months after I put the second (and considerable bigger) anemone in. Now he protects and feeds both. I learned after the fact that bubble-tip anemones are the natural hosts of maroons. The LFS told me it took his maroon 4 months to move into his bubble tip. SO I guess I'm preaching patience if your clown doesn't move in right away. Good luck.

N

nick17

It's a very small one (1"x1" if not smaller) and I was sure he wasn't going to host something that small.
How much did you pay for the red anemone? It looks like a rose, but I may be wrong, which run for $175 +
Thanks,
-Nick

N

nick17

What are some other fish that are compatable with 1 maroon clown, 1 tomato clown (possible for the two to mate?) and 1 lemonpeel dwarf angel?
I am looking for 1-2 more fish to add.
Tank is 29gal.
30lbs of LR
Thanks,
-Nick

bentrue

with a maroon, a tomato, and a dwarf angel you are getting pretty close to full in a 29g. obviously this is just my opinion after having a 29g reef tank for almost 3 years.
you may want to be careful mixing the clowns as well. the maroon is said to be the most aggressive of the clowns and mixing clowns in a smaller tank can be risky. if you want two clowns, i would go with a mated pair of tomatos or maroons instead of one of each.
there are probably people who have mixed clowns in small tanks successfully, and if so they can post their experiences. after all this board is about gaining all possible knowledge so we, as hobbyists, can make informed decisions.